my virtual os doesn't connect to internet

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
SirSardine

my virtual os doesn't connect to internet

Post by SirSardine »

I've been using my virtual machine for a while now, and have never had this issue until now. I was prompted with an update when opening virtualbox, and like I usually do I click to update. However when going onto one of my kali vm it would not connect to any website. I wanted to try reinstalling virtualbox, and when going to the main page I noticed the version I had just updated to was not the current version which is strange. So I downloaded the newest version, and I am still having the same issue. Is there something I need to configure to get internet access? I used a tutorial to download it the first time years ago, and I've never needed to do any configuring after an update so this is all new to me. Please help?
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Re: my virtual os doesn't connect to internet

Post by scottgus1 »

Start the VM from full normal shutdown, not save-state. Run until you see the problem happen, then shut down the VM from within the VM's OS if possible. If not possible, close the Virtualbox window for the VM with the Power Off option set.

Right-click the VM in the main Virtualbox window's VM list, choose Show in Explorer/Finder/File Manager. In the "Logs" subfolder, zip the VM's "vbox.log", and post the zip file, using the forum's Upload Attachment tab.

For each VM, please right-click the VM in the main Virtualbox window's VM list, choose Show in Explorer/Finder/File Manager. Copy the VM's .vbox file (not the .vbox-prev file) to the desktop (Configure your host OS to show all extensions if the folder that opens does not show a .vbox file). Zip all the .vbox files and post the zip file, using the forum's Upload Attachment tab.

Also, in the host Command Prompt, please run these commands, and post the outputs:
vboxmanage list dhcpservers
vboxmanage list intnets
vboxmanage list natnetworks
vboxmanage list hostonlyifs
vboxmanage list bridgedifs
SirSardine

Post by SirSardine »

sorry for the late reply, the internet was working on the vm for a few minutes early today but it is back to not working again. I did what you said and I attached the vbox log although the closest I could find to the file was vbox.log.1 and the forum doesn't seem to allow me to attach this file and gives me the message "extension 1 is not allowed".
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Post by scottgus1 »

scottgus1 wrote:zip the VM's "vbox.log", and post the zip file
mpack
Site Moderator
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

SirSardine wrote:the closest I could find to the file was vbox.log.1
That will be because you have Windows configured to lie to you about file extensions. Open a File Explorer window, expand the toolbar ribbon, click the View button, and enable the "File name extensions" check box. This should make instructions you see online make more sense.