Guest process started, but corresponding application not running in VM,using vboxmanage/guestcontrol

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
KolaS

Guest process started, but corresponding application not running in VM,using vboxmanage/guestcontrol

Post by KolaS »

Hi Team,

I am new to VirtualBox. I have a requirement to set up a virtual machine (Host - Windows 10 Pro 64-bit, Guest - Windows XP professional 32-Bit) and need to execute/run application in guest from host. After a long search I decided to go with VirtualBox and installed VirtualBox 7.0.2 on host & corresponding Guest Addition 7.0.2 in guest.

By referring the User manual, I have executed the below command, after keeping the guest in Running & logged on condition.

C:\Program Files\Oracle\VirtualBox>VBoxManage guestcontrol AWS run --exe C:\windows\system32\notepad.exe --verbose --username USER --password Password --wait-stdout --wait-stderr --timeout=50000

Result:

Creating guest session as user 'USER'...
Waiting for guest session to start...
Successfully started guest session (ID 1)
Starting guest process (within 10000ms)
Process 'C:\windows\system32\notepad.exe' (PID 2476) started
waitResult: 1
waitResult: 9
waitResult: 9
VBoxManage.exe: error: Reading from guest process "C:\windows\system32\notepad.exe" (PID 2476) failed: VERR_TIMEOUT.
VBoxManage.exe: error: Reading from guest process "C:\windows\system32\notepad.exe" (PID 2476) failed: VERR_TIMEOUT.
Process monitor loop quit with vrc=VERR_GENERAL_FAILURE
Closing guest session ...

During the execution time, the process for 'notepad.exe' is available in guest's taskmanager, but the notepad application is not running. I can open virtual machine manually & run all the software in guest without any issue. I have searched a lot in the user manual & this forum to check what I am missing, but couldn't figure out.

More details are given below,

Base memory - 8192
Chipset - PIIX3
Video Memory - 128MB
Graphics Controller - VBoxVGA
Network- Attached to Bridge Adapter

Accounts: Limit Local Account use of blank password to console logon only - Disabled in Guest
Windows firewall OFF in both Host and Guest
Hyper-V OFF in Host

Thanks in Advance..
Any kind of support is well appreciated!!!!
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Re: Guest process started, but corresponding application not running in VM,using vboxmanage/guestcon

Post by scottgus1 »

KolaS wrote:C:\Program Files\Oracle\VirtualBox>VBoxManage guestcontrol AWS run --exe C:\windows\system32\notepad.exe --verbose --username USER --password Password --wait-stdout --wait-stderr --timeout=50000

During the execution time, the process for 'notepad.exe' is available in guest's taskmanager, but the notepad application is not running.
The app running in the Task Manager but not visible on the desktop might be a symptom of running the app with a different user than the logged-in user. Is your vboxmanage user the same as the VM's logged-in user?

Also, according to the manual, "--wait-stout"
waits until the guest process ends and receives its exit code
If notepad has not been closed then its process hasn't ended yet. So the timeout may be expected.
KolaS

Re: Guest process started, but corresponding application not running in VM,using vboxmanage/guestcon

Post by KolaS »

Hi,

Thanks a lot for your reply and taking me to right path.

Yes, the USER in vboxmanage and the Guest logged-in user are same.

But, when I selected "Allow service to interact with desktop" for VBoxService in guest, the application (notepad) started but not visible (appearing as transparent mode, only notepad header and desktop background color is coming).

Thanks in Advance!!!
lsan

Post by lsan »

Same problem here.

I tried the "Allow service to interact with desktop" too but no luck. I can see the process (notepad) but no GUI is shown.

If there is no GUI,it is ok.

Any solution or workaround ¿?

Thanks!
Luis.