Indicator Presence defective/bugged/busted in Windows 11 Home hosts?

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
Wadmooddeer

Indicator Presence defective/bugged/busted in Windows 11 Home hosts?

Post by Wadmooddeer »

I've been using VirtualBox for VM testing purposes for years now since the late-2010s. However, recently with the current version of VirtualBox, I've been getting a turtle icon every time I start the VM up. I've tried everything from changing the System settings, Display Settings and other settings but nothing ever works. I've been using VirtualBox on my Windows 11 Home host PC for a couple of months now, but now it's coming to the point that the Paravirtualization APIs are broken, even if Hyper-V isn't even installed on my PC (Not that any Home edition of the Windows OS since 2012's Windows 8 never included Hyper-V in any official form the first place). I'm thinking that the Indicator Presence system is either defective, bugged or busted on Windows 11 Home host regardless of what VM settings I've tried.
If the bug regarding the paravirtualization APIs is confirmed in all Windows 11 Home hosts, I suggest fix any defective code present in the latest version of VirtualBox that caused the slow turtle icon to appear at all times when starting any VM.
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Re: Indicator Presence defective/bugged/busted in Windows 11 Home hosts?

Post by scottgus1 »

Couple of things to point out:
Wadmooddeer wrote:Paravirtualization APIs are broken
Virtualbox uses the term "paravirtualization" to refer to the communication between the hypervisor (Virtualbox) and a modern OS. This paravirtualization chit-chat happens in different 'languages'. Virtualbox can speak Hyper-V "paravirtualization" when talking to a Windows VM, KVM "paravirtualization" when talking to a Linux VM, etc. There is a setting for what language to use in the VM's settings, set by default to the correct language for the OS family that the New VM Wizard is set to use. Paravirtualization is not the Hyper-V that a Windows host may enable, and should not be altered or disabled in the VM's settings.

For the rest, including why the turtle is there and why Windows Home actually does have Hyper-V, contrary to belief, see HMR3Init: Attempting fall back to NEM (Hyper-V is active).
Wadmooddeer

Post by Wadmooddeer »

I got sick and tired of Microsoft never fixing any of the bugs present in Hyper-V when it comes to both Windows 10 Home and Windows 11 Home hosts and decided to make a Change.org petition requesting Microsoft to remove any of the Hyper-V components from Windows 10 Home and Windows 11 Home, and to discontinue and cancel any development of a Home edition of Hyper-V for all those bugs present in the code.

https://chng.it/dRt78KmWSG
BillG
Volunteer
Guest OSses: Windows 10,7 and earlier

Post by BillG »

Best of luck with that! I totally agree. The implementation of Hyper-V in the guest OS was very poorly done. I have been a long-term critic of the process inside and outside Microsoft. As an example, the default switch to provide a substitute for VirtualBox NAT is pathetic. See this from five years ago. https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Fo ... rk-adapter

Unfortunately Microsoft has realised that virtualisation gives them all sorts of ways to provide extra security options. Enabling any one of those, even with the Home version, sets the switch to load the hypervisor. Once it loads, you get the green turtle because the hypervisor takes control of the hardware virtualisation ability of the processor, blocking other software from accessing it.
Bill
Wadmooddeer

Post by Wadmooddeer »

I wonder if anyone can create a set of unofficial batch files to permanently disable Hyper-V by using Gary Lieberman's VirtualBox Performance Issues with Hyper-V on Windows 11 video as a reference point so that Windows 11 Home users aren't losing access to any VirtualBox VMs.
mpack
Site Moderator
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

See the link that Scott posted above: it tells you how to disable Hyper-v properly.
Wadmooddeer

Post by Wadmooddeer »

mpack wrote:See the link that Scott posted above: it tells you how to disable Hyper-v properly.
It is completely useless for Windows 11 Home users due to the Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\DeviceGuard\Scenarios\SystemGuard not being present in Regedit.
mpack
Site Moderator
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

Wadmooddeer wrote:
mpack wrote:See the link that Scott posted above: it tells you how to disable Hyper-v properly.
It is completely useless for Windows 11 Home users due to the Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\DeviceGuard\Scenarios\SystemGuard not being present in Regedit.
Completely? That particular item isn't even given as advice, it's just one third party tip.

I have had his conversation literally 1000 times. I know perfectly well that Hyper-v can be disabled in Win11-Home.