Unable to install Virtualbox 7.0.2 Missing dependencies

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
Karman

Unable to install Virtualbox 7.0.2 Missing dependencies

Post by Karman »

Hi All,
I upgraded my virtualbox and it is showing up an error while trying to install. Attaching the image.

I am running WIndows 10 Home.

Please suggest how I can remove this message. Need to work on my projects and i'm running short of time.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Best Regards and Happy DIwali to one and all.

Sanjith
Attachments
missingdep.png
missingdep.png (91.5 KiB) Viewed 22765 times
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Re: Unable to install Virtualbox 7.0.2 Missing dependencies

Post by mpack »

It's just a warning, and you only see that message during installation. Just uncheck the Python bindings during install if you don't need them (I always untick that box).

Btw, please note that these are user to user discussion forums. Your being short of time has no bearing here!
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Post by scottgus1 »

I'll add to Mpack's comment on your being short of time with some advice:

Do you see the logical break in this quote:
Karman wrote:I upgraded my virtualbox ... Need to work on my projects and i'm running short of time.
I'll point out the break:
If it ain't broke don't fix it.
A production host with VMs that should remain usable should not be upgraded before doing tests. Do the upgrade on a test environment first, check the performance and possible glitches, then if everything is OK upgrade the production host. Then your projects won't be impacted if the test fails.

And any new software with low version numbers should be tested first. 7.0 just came out of beta. In fact all free Virtualbox users are beta testers for whatever version they're running. 7.0 will need lots of testing and bug fixes for some time yet.

You can make a test environment by cloning your host drive to a different test drive, or even simply disk-imaging your host to a couple backup media with reliable tested-restorable imaging software, which you should be doing already, and which can be restored if the test fails.
Sunny Rio

Post by Sunny Rio »

[sarcasm]What a friendly bunch in here.[/sarcasm]

So I have the same problem, I'm upgrading VB to 7, and am warned about Python Bindings which I know nothing about. I'm installing it to use with Boinc, I don't know if the projects use these bindings or not (although I've heard them mention Python, so probably they do). The first forum thread I come across, some over zealous admin has locked the thread saying it's been answered elsewhere, without bothering to link to the elsewhere. Eventually I find this thread, which doesn't give much help either. Can't someone just say where I can download the Python Bindings? Why aren't they on the main download page along with the extensions?
BillG
Volunteer
Guest OSses: Windows 10,7 and earlier

Post by BillG »

As mpack said, it is just a warning. It will not affect how your vm runs. If you do not want to see the warning, uncheck the Python option in the installer. I always do that, too.

Why install something you will never use? Have you ever used Python? Do you even know what it is? I don't. I think it is some sort of application programming language.
Bill
Sunny Rio

Post by Sunny Rio »

BillG wrote:As mpack said, it is just a warning. It will not affect how your vm runs. If you do not want to see the warning, uncheck the Python option in the installer. I always do that, too.

Why install something you will never use? Have you ever used Python? Do you even know what it is? I don't. I think it is some sort of application programming language.
You are correct, it's a programming language. And it's used in https://boinc.bakerlab.org/rosetta/ - but whether it needs the bindings I don't know. I was running it ok with VB 5 on 3 modern machines, but it failed to run on older ones (which I think was the lack of AVX in the CPUs). Maybe it's only needed for a certain subset of Python programs? I don't know, but I'd rather have it installed if the project is using Python and might use it later. Somebody must know where I can download it.
fth0
Volunteer
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: Linux, Windows 10, ...

Post by fth0 »

FWIW, you only need Python for VirtualBox if you want to write Python scripts/programs handling VirtualBox VMs.
multiOS
Volunteer
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: WIN11,10, 7, Linux (various)

Post by multiOS »

@Sunny Rio

If you are really curious, then download the VirtualBox SDK from the normal VirtualBox Downloads Page - It's a zip package which includes everything needed, apart from Python which you also need to install.

And, as you are a Windows User I would suggest that you start by pre-reading Para 7.2.1 of the included SDK Programming Guide as it highlights the other software needed from https://www.python.org/downloads/ which you probably won't already have installed, unless you are a Python Programmer (or are learning).

However, if you aren't an experienced Python Programmer, I hope you are prepared to invest a considerable amount of time learning, otherwise don't bother about cluttering up your system with software and 'add-ons' you unlikely ever to make use of.
Sunny Rio

Post by Sunny Rio »

fth0 wrote:FWIW, you only need Python for VirtualBox if you want to write Python scripts/programs handling VirtualBox VMs.
So only Python outside the VB? I guess that doesn't apply to Boinc at all then. I'll give it a miss as it sounds complicated from what multiOS said.