VirtualBox 7.0.2 won't run Windows XP VM

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
jvidal

VirtualBox 7.0.2 won't run Windows XP VM

Post by jvidal »

Hi!

I had a VM running Windows XP on virtualbox 6.x and it worked just fine. Upgraded to VB 7.0.0 and it still worked, but then upgraded to VB 7.0.2 and the VM won't work anymore, it either:
Takes me to "guru meditation" complaining about some fatal error (no info given, just that it fell into an un-recoverable state (or words to that effect))
or
it runs but it just hangs with a black virtual screen. (nothing left to do but forcibly turn off the VM)

Additionally, I can't even re-install Windows XP in VB7.0.2, the installer hangs after the very first part of text-based setup completes.
Reverted to VB 7.0.0 and at least Windows XP installation gets to the Graphic phase and finishes correctly.
ChristophS

Re: VirtualBox 7.0.2 won't run Windows XP VM

Post by ChristophS »

I made the same observation; an existing Windows XP VM ran perfectly for many years in VirtualBox 5.x, 6.x and 7.0.0, but now fails to start in VirtualBox 7.0.2, showing a "Guru Meditation" message.

However, I am able to reinstall a XP VM in VirtualBox 7.0.2, as long as Settings > System > Motherboard > Enable I/O APIC is not checked. Note that this option will be automatically checked when you configure 2 or more processors on the Processors tab. When the Enable I/O APIC option is checked, Windows Setup freezes during the text-based phase of the setup, with the text "Setup ist starting Windows" visible in bottom line of the screen.
jvidal

Post by jvidal »

what do the devs have to say about this? we're not the only ones having touble with VB7.0.2 and XP guests...

Strangely enough, the VM runs in VB7.0.0 even with I/O APIC enabled, so this issue is specific to VB7.0.2
Siko

Post by Siko »

oh i'm not the only one who has same problem :D
downgraded to 6.1.40 & all XPs working well.
any fixes yet?
thanks
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Post by scottgus1 »

jvidal wrote:what do the devs have to say about this?
Test VMs under 7.0 should be reported here viewforum.php?f=1 in the Stickied "Discuss the 7.0.x Release" topics, where x is the final version number you're using. One problematic VM per post, with a zipped vbox.log posted through the forum's Upload Attachment tab, showing the failed run of the VM, please.
jvidal

Post by jvidal »

unfortunately, I can't do that, since I got rid of version 7.0.2 and went back to 7.0.0.
scottgus1
Site Moderator

Post by scottgus1 »

jvidal wrote:went back to 7.0.0.
Users of 7.0.anything are beta testers atm. If you want to help, go back to 7.0.2. QED
jvidal

Post by jvidal »

More on the I/O APIC / multiprocessor issue.
I wanted to test the latest version of Memtest86+, but it won't boot from the iso. Decreasing the VM's processors from 2 to 1 (and disabling I/O APIC) fixes it and memtest86+ boots.
Thid on VB7.0.0
BillG
Volunteer
Guest OSses: Windows 10,7 and earlier

Post by BillG »

I can't reproduce any of those problems. My Windows XP SP3 vm runs exactly as expected under VirtualBox 7.0.2 - 2 processors allocated, I/O APIC is enabled, GAs 7.0.2 installed.

A fresh install of XP from the ISO in unattended mode also ran as expected. The only stop was to insert the product key which I had not specified. It then proceeded to a normal finish.

There is obviously something funny going on but, if it is not reproducible, it will take some to track down. If you really need an XP vm, I would stay with 6.1.40 for now.
Bill
jvidal

Post by jvidal »

that's weird, because Im not the only one having trouble with XP guests on VB7.0.0or VB7.0.2

What CPU do you have? which OS?
I'm running Win10 x64 on an AMD FX-8320E processor, wth 16GB RAM
scottgus1
Site Moderator

Post by scottgus1 »

jvidal wrote: Im not the only one having trouble with XP guests on VB7.0.0or VB7.0.2
scottgus1 wrote:with a zipped vbox.log posted through the forum's Upload Attachment tab, showing the failed run of the VM, please.
No log, no help. Locked topics coming unless log is provided.
jvidal

Post by jvidal »

scottgus1 wrote:
jvidal wrote:went back to 7.0.0.
Users of 7.0.anything are beta testers atm. If you want to help, go back to 7.0.2. QED
Excuse me, but why would users of v7.x be considered "beta testers" if V7.0.0 and 7.0.2 were released as STABLE versions???? they are NOT BETA. (or they are beta, but we are being fooled into believing they are stable, which would set an awful precedent)
scottgus1
Site Moderator

Post by scottgus1 »

All new versions of software are expected to have bugs. My "beta testers" expression is not an official stance; it is just what the practical side effects of using 7.0 for a while will be. Virtualbox 7.0 might hope to be stable-ish around 7.0.10, maybe, based on my previous experience through several versions since the middle 4's.

And since we haven't seen a log (big broad smack-you-in-the-face hint there) we don't know if it really is Virtualbox or something else of the several hundred things folks put on their PCs or misconfigure the VMs with that might be causing the problem.

And fwiw users of free Virtualbox are entitled to zero (0) support. They are welcome to come to the forums and ask questions, where fellow volunteer Virtualbox users (like myself, who really ought to be working now) can try to help if the fellow users feel like it. And the questioners can be ignored if they get persnickety...
Horuss
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: Windows all flavors

Post by Horuss »

Hi there, I'm having the same problem with version 7.0.2 on Windows host.
But also when running XP with MacOS host it's extremely slow. And as asked, I'm attaching my log files.

Thanks in advance
Attachments
Archive.zip
MacHost
(153.23 KiB) Downloaded 36 times
scottgus1
Site Moderator

Post by scottgus1 »

Horuss wrote:00:00:01.582608 EnableNestedPaging <integer> = 0x0000000000000000 (0)
Try to see if you can enable Nested Paging on your Mac host, if possible.