VirtualBox 6.1.40 throws exception

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
Navy_Bill
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: OSE other
Guest OSses: Ubuntu, Mint Cinnamon, OpenSUSE

VirtualBox 6.1.40 throws exception

Post by Navy_Bill »

Twice now since the latest update to VirtualBox, it has thrown an exception which reads like this:

VirtualBox.exe referenced memory at 0x00007FF8F3302BF2. Referenced memory could not be read. 0x0000000000000000.

Twice in a span of weeks isn't a big deal, but it is the same exact memory spot the first exception hit a while back. The first, I was running Ubuntu and the second I was running OpenSUSE, so I doubt is is the guest.

At the same time, another popup appeared, saying this: "Application VirtualBoxVM.e has been blocked from accessing Graphics hardware."

The Event Viewer shows this:

Code: Select all

Log Name:      System
Source:        Display
Date:          10/15/2022 15:38:43
Event ID:      4109
Task Category: None
Level:         Warning
Keywords:      Classic
User:          N/A
Computer:      NEWDELL
Description:
Application VirtualBoxVM.e has been blocked from accessing Graphics hardware.
Event Xml:
<Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">
  <System>
    <Provider Name="Display" />
    <EventID Qualifiers="0">4109</EventID>
    <Version>0</Version>
    <Level>3</Level>
    <Task>0</Task>
    <Opcode>0</Opcode>
    <Keywords>0x80000000000000</Keywords>
    <TimeCreated SystemTime="2022-10-15T19:38:43.9071275Z" />
    <EventRecordID>59312</EventRecordID>
    <Correlation />
    <Execution ProcessID="0" ThreadID="0" />
    <Channel>System</Channel>
    <Computer>NEWDELL</Computer>
    <Security />
  </System>
  <EventData>
    <Data>VirtualBoxVM.e</Data>
    <Data>
    </Data>
  </EventData>
</Event>
Running Windows 10 with latest updates. As I said, this isn't much of a big deal, but it may indicate something to someone.

Bill
Last edited by Navy_Bill on 28. Oct 2022, 00:57, edited 2 times in total.
BillG
Volunteer
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows 10,7 and earlier

Re: VirtualBox 6.1.13 throws exception

Post by BillG »

6.1.13? That is an old test version. Normal releases have an even number after the last dot.

The latest released version of VirtualBox 6 is 6.1.40 . Version 7.0.0 is also available, but I would not recommend it yet (except for testing).
Bill
Navy_Bill

Re: VirtualBox 6.1.13 throws exception

Post by Navy_Bill »

That's odd. When I "check for updates," I am told I'm running the latest version.

Version 6.1.38 r153438 (Qt5.6.2)

Wait a sec. I must have messed up the title somehow. I'm sure I put in 38. Senior Moment? My profound apologies, Billg. I changed the title of the OP.

Bill
mpack
Site Moderator
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Re: VirtualBox 6.1.38 throws exception

Post by mpack »

Please provide a VM log file. Make sure the VM is fully shut down, then right click it in the manager UI. Select "Show Log" and save "VBox.log" (no other file) to a zip file. Attach the zip here.
Navy_Bill

Post by Navy_Bill »

Here is the ZIP file:

Bill
Attachments
VBox.zip
(35.76 KiB) Downloaded 3 times
mpack
Site Moderator
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

Please reduce VM RAM to 4096MB and 2 cores, increase graphics RAM to 128MB.
Navy_Bill

Post by Navy_Bill »

I'll give that a try, thanks.

Later: Seemed to boot all three of my guests faster. Since the error happens so infrequently, I'll post back here if it happens again.

Bill
Navy_Bill

Post by Navy_Bill »

This problem has surfaced yet again. Same error popup and same entry in the Event Viewer. Happened just ten minutes ago. Killed my running guest and froze VB itself, requiring me to kill it and restart.

As suggested before, I had immediately reduced VM RAM and gone to 2 cores as well as increased Video RAM, yet, here we are again. I changed the OP title to reflect the updated version of VB to 6.1.40.

Bill
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Re: VirtualBox 6.1.40 throws exception

Post by scottgus1 »

Navy_Bill wrote:"Application VirtualBoxVM.e has been blocked from accessing Graphics hardware."
This sounds like something else on the host is doing this. Find out what's got the gall and tell it to knock it off. 3rd-party security software, web-safe nanny software, etc. Do the graphics drivers have some kind of security authorization list?

And what's up with "VirtualBoxVM.e" It's called "VirtualBoxVM.exe"

Suspect whatever app generate that Event.
Navy_Bill

Post by Navy_Bill »

I wondered about the ".e" myself. Maybe it's some sort of running name and not the name of the executable file. Dunno.

I've been running Emsisoft Anti-Malware for years (using VB for a lot of those years) and never had it bump a driver/file, so that probably isn't it. I may have a clue here in that it has only occurred when the guest screensaver has kicked in. I'm running now with no guest screensaver so I'll see how that goes. I wish it would happen more frequently, or knock it off altogether. And, to have it happen to all three guests now is not a good thing. I do agree that it probably is coming from the host, though. MS has done a few things with their updates I don't like--such as changing my search to Bing and setting Edge as my default browser. The least they could do is ask me.

Bill
Navy_Bill

Post by Navy_Bill »

Sorry to resurrect this thread, but the same exact thing is back again. Three times this week (since Sunday) VB has been banned from access to graphics hardware. Different guest each time. This time it was Ubuntu 22.04. When it happens, everything on the guest freezes AND so does VB. I have to use Task Manager to kill it. Ubuntu doesn't complain, though. I removed GeForce Experience after this happened. I'll see if the ban happens again.

VB 7.0.6 r155176 (Qt5.15.2)

Bill
scottgus1
Site Moderator

Post by scottgus1 »

Sorry to hear the problem is back! Just to let you know, this problem is not being caused by Virtualbox. So you'll have to ask the Antivirus people, or hunt down what app is causing that error:
Navy_Bill wrote:Source:        Display
Navy_Bill wrote:
scottgus1 wrote:what's up with "VirtualBoxVM.e" It's called "VirtualBoxVM.exe"
I wondered about the ".e" myself. Maybe it's some sort of running name and not the name of the executable file. Dunno.
The main Virtualbox window is 'Virtualbox.exe', and the VMs are run by 'VirtualBoxVM.exe'. It seems that the incomplete error is not referring to VirtualBoxVM.exe, rather the main window executable Virtualbox.exe. The error is definitely not caused by Virtualbox.
Navy_Bill

Post by Navy_Bill »

That is good to know. Helps to eliminate one suspect. This time, when I went to close VB (by using the upper-right red X) there was a standard Windows popup telling me that there was a memory fault. "Memory Address xxxxxxxxxx could not be loaded, etc. etc." The guest had been completely frozen anyway, so instead of using Task Manager, I used the red X. The "missing memory" message also adds to your suspicion that the Host OS is at fault for some reason. My task now is to find what that reason is. I'm now wondering if the NVIDIA driver might be at fault - somehow. I'm a member of their forum, so I'll see if anyone there has had this problem.

Thanks again for the help.

EDIT: I went back through the Event Viewer PRIOR to the VB lockout and found an entry stating "Display driver nvlddmkm stopped responding and has successfully recovered." I get a few of these every month. This one occurred only minutes before the VB lockout. I didn't notice it before. It would seem to me that maybe the non-response of nvlddmkm, followed by its reloading might have thrown the monkey wrench into VB. More investigation needed.

Bill
scottgus1
Site Moderator

Post by scottgus1 »

From your log above, the VM has 3D acceleration enabled, and 3D Acceleration requires working host OS video drivers. So if the host video drivers are failing, the bottom would fall out of Virtualbox video. Host video might be a good place to start looking.
Navy_Bill

Post by Navy_Bill »

Ah. I see that. I'll turn 3D off and see what happens. This is probably operator error now.

Bill