Can I run a program installed on guest as if it is the host machine

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
ses9200

Can I run a program installed on guest as if it is the host machine

Post by ses9200 »

I would like to run a program that is installed on the Guest Windows OS from the Host Windows OS. In the past when I stalled a program on the Guest machine it would create a shortcut for the program in the Host OS start menu folder that indicated it was the guest machine program. The program would run as if it was installed directly on the Host machine. Is this still possible and how do I do that?
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Re: Can I run a program installed on guest as if it is the host machine

Post by scottgus1 »

ses9200 wrote:In the past when I stalled a program on the Guest machine it would create a shortcut for the program in the Host OS start menu folder that indicated it was the guest machine program. The program would run as if it was installed directly on the Host machine.
Not with official unmodified Virtualbox. Official Virtualbox has never had a provision to make shortcuts for installed VM apps on the host OS and fake the app output to make it look like the host is running it.

Virtualbox does have a 'seamless' mode that hides the VM's desktop and only shows the VM's windows. But no shortcuts are made and you still have to manually start the VM, copy the data files to the VM, and run the app and data in the VM manually.
fth0
Volunteer
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Linux, Windows 10, ...

Re: Can I run a program installed on guest as if it is the host machine

Post by fth0 »