USB attached SCSI(UAS) storage device is not accessible on host if I open VBox Manager

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
wh201906

USB attached SCSI(UAS) storage device is not accessible on host if I open VBox Manager

Post by wh201906 »

Host OS: Windows 10(10.0.19044)
Guest OS: Ubuntu, Windows 10, Manjaro
Host Hardware: CPU Ryzen 7 PRO 2700U RAM 20GB
VirtualBox version: 6.1.32 r149290, 6.1.38 r153438
Extension Pack version: 6.1.32 r149290, 6.1.38 r153438

Hi there.
When I attaches an USB SSD storage to my computer with the VirtualBox Manager opened, I will run into a strange bug.
I have tried two different USB attached SCSI(UAS) storage device but the bug still exists, so I guess it's something related to VBox.

Steps to reproduce:
1. Start the host machine
2. Attach the USB SSD storage(the volume is shown in "This PC")
3. Eject it(works fine)
4. Open VirtualBox manager
5. Attach the USB SSD storage(the volume is NOT shown in "This PC")

After step 5. The host OS has these strange behaviors if I doesn't restart the host machine:
1. I cannot eject this USB SSD storage. If I click "Eject xxx" in my system tray, nothing will happen. the tray icon is still there.
2. The tray icon is still there even if I removed the device physically.
3. The device is still shown in Device Manager, If I click "Scan the changes of devices", the Device Manager will keep scanning forever(But the Device Manager is not frozen)
4. When shutting down the host OS, the OS will inform me that the VirtualBox Interface has active connection for one second, then the OS shows "Waiting for shutdown" forever
5. When installing VBox 6.1.38, the process bar will stuck at some stage.

Some test results which might be helpful:
1. When reproducing, I can repeat step 2 and step 3 as much as I want, and it works fine unless I open VBox Manager.
2. I test these steps on a typical USB3.0 flash drive(which will not be recognized as UAS device), the bug doesn't happen.
3. After step 4, If I close the VBox Manager, wait for a while then do step 5, the bug doesn't happen(the volume is shown in "This PC").
4. I noticed that the service VBoxSDS(VirtualBox system service) will be started as long as I open the VBox Manager, but it stops seconds after I close the VBox Manger. If I do step 5 before the VBoxSDS is stopped, the bug happens. If I do step 5 after the VBoxSDS is stopped, the bug doesn't happen. So I guess the VBoxSDS is to blame for this bug.
5. I upgraded from 6.1.32 r149290 to 6.1.38 r153438, the bug still exists.

This bug annoys me so much. I'd be grateful for any help you could provide.
VboxHardening.7z
(19.64 KiB) Downloaded 2 times
Vbox.log.7z
(25.29 KiB) Downloaded 2 times