Lost network on all VM's

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
tomt

Lost network on all VM's

Post by tomt »

Hi,
Windows 11 Pro host, I've been running multiple Linux guests for years with out any issues.
Today I've upgraded to the latest version of VirtualBox and now my guests are starting but they have no local network or internet access.

Each guests network is configured as:
Bridged Adapter
Realtek PCIe gbE Family Controller
Promiscuous Mode Allow All
Cable Connected Ticked.

Looking at one Guest I can see it has the correct IP but I'm unable to ping anything on the LAN or the internet either via IP or FQDN.
In Windows I have 'Ethernet 4' which is the VirtualBox Host-Only Ethernet Adapter. The IPv4 IP is 192.168.56.1, when I come out of here I get a warning that IP 192.168.56.1 is already assigned to another VirtualBox Host-Only Ethernet Adapter along with a warning about what will happen if both become active.. I can only see this one host adapter in Windows.

Does anyone have any idea how to resolve this, I really need to get this working.

VirtualBox 6.1.38 r153438
Hyper-V is disabled, AMD-V is enabled in the bios
No guest additions added to the Linux hosts.

Thanks
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Re: Lost network on all VM's

Post by scottgus1 »

tomt wrote:Each guests network is configured as:
Bridged Adapter
Realtek PCIe gbE Family Controller
tomt wrote:In Windows I have 'Ethernet 4' which is the VirtualBox Host-Only Ethernet Adapter. The IPv4 IP is 192.168.56.1, when I come out of here I get a warning that IP 192.168.56.1 is already assigned to another VirtualBox Host-Only Ethernet Adapter along with a warning about what will happen if both become active..
If your VMs are Bridged, you wouldn't try to fix failure to connect by editing things to match the Host-Only adapter. That'll break stuff further.

Please provide these items from the host:
cd "C:\Program Files\Oracle\Virtualbox"
vboxmanage list bridgedifs
vboxmanage list hostonlyifs
ipconfig /all

Start each Linux VM from full normal shutdown, not save-state. In each Linux VM provide this from the terminal:
ifconfig
or
ip address
also:
ping 8.8.8.8

Shut down the VM from within the VM's OS if possible. Right-click the VM in the main Virtualbox window's VM list, choose Show Log. Save the far left tab's log to the desktop.

Right-click each VM in the main Virtualbox window's VM list, choose Show in Explorer/Finder/File Manager. Copy the VM's .vbox file (not the .vbox-prev file) to the desktop (Configure your host OS to show all extensions if the folder that opens does not show a .vbox file).

Zip all the .vbox files and log files, then post the zip file, using the forum's Upload Attachment tab.
tomt

Post by tomt »

Hi.

I've managed to resolve this by deleting the host-only adapters in device manager and the rebooting.
Following that it appears to be working.

Thanks
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Post by scottgus1 »

Great! Glad you're up and running.