Live webcam feed

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
Redacted_Ruler

Live webcam feed

Post by Redacted_Ruler »

Version: 6.1.36 r152435
Extension Version: I dont know how to see the version of the extension pack but I got virtual box about a week ago so probably most recent
Host: Windows 64 bit
Guest: Windows 64 bit

So heres the issue. Im trying to get my webcam to read as a live feed and not a virtual camera because a website that im trying to use does not support virtual cameras.
Attachments
Windows-2022-09-21-21-29-28.zip
The logs (for some reason it was too big to send so I had to zip it)
(33.31 KiB) Downloaded 4 times
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Re: Live webcam feed

Post by scottgus1 »

I'm not sure that I can see from the log if you're using Virtualbox's Webcam passthrough or USB Filters.

If the USB Filter is being used, then the webcam will be driven directly by the VM OS, and may be more likely to be seen as a real camera by the VM OS.
Redacted_Ruler

Post by Redacted_Ruler »

scottgus1 wrote:I'm not sure that I can see from the log if you're using Virtualbox's Webcam passthrough or USB Filters.

If the USB Filter is being used, then the webcam will be driven directly by the VM OS, and may be more likely to be seen as a real camera by the VM OS.
I tried running it though the USB filter and virtualbox webcam passthrough. Sadly it detected virtualbox webcam as virtual and the guess system didnt even detect the webcam computer side in settings (windows settings and no websites dont detect it). When I open up camera in the guess it displays the feed but its super glitchy and theres a ton of screen tears.
scottgus1
Site Moderator

Post by scottgus1 »

Too bad neither of the setups worked for you! I'd have to leave troubleshooting webcams in the VM to others who know it better. But you might be stuck trying to run this app in a VM: Apps can be programmed to tell that they're in a VM very easily, and circumventing such detection is hard to impossible.

Note that if you wanted to keep the app off your host OS there is another way to do so without using a VM. How easy it is to implement depends on how hard it would be to take the hard drive out of your host and put in another drive. If you can swap your host hard drive with another drive easily, then you can install the host OS on a different drive (a Windows OS will reactivate itself on the new drive since it's still the same computer) then install the finicky video app only. When you need to run the app boo from the special drive. When you want to use your usual host OS, switch drives.
Redacted_Ruler

Post by Redacted_Ruler »

scottgus1 wrote:Too bad neither of the setups worked for you! I'd have to leave troubleshooting webcams in the VM to others who know it better. But you might be stuck trying to run this app in a VM: Apps can be programmed to tell that they're in a VM very easily, and circumventing such detection is hard to impossible.

Note that if you wanted to keep the app off your host OS there is another way to do so without using a VM. How easy it is to implement depends on how hard it would be to take the hard drive out of your host and put in another drive. If you can swap your host hard drive with another drive easily, then you can install the host OS on a different drive (a Windows OS will reactivate itself on the new drive since it's still the same computer) then install the finicky video app only. When you need to run the app boo from the special drive. When you want to use your usual host OS, switch drives.

What do you mean by "app" how can I run it
scottgus1
Site Moderator

Post by scottgus1 »

Redacted_Ruler wrote:What do you mean by "app" how can I run it
Redacted_Ruler wrote:a website that im trying to use does not support virtual cameras.
Sorry, I was referring to the website.