How do I remove all VMs and VirtualBox config from the host PC?

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
ALFIL

How do I remove all VMs and VirtualBox config from the host PC?

Post by ALFIL »

Hello,

I had problems with VirtualBox and I decided to uninstall it to reinstall it and start from scratch.

When I install it again I check that it is exactly the same as before uninstalling it, that is to say with the virtual machines that I had and the configuration.

The question I ask is how to uninstall VirtualBox completely from my computer to start from scratch, empty, like the first time.

Thanks
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Re: Uninstallation of VirtualBox

Post by mpack »

What software do you know will delete all your data at the same time the software is uninstalled? I know of no software of the last 20 years which does that.

If you no longer want the data then you can go ahead and delete it.
ALFIL

Post by ALFIL »

I didn't say I was looking for it to be at the same time!

It is understood that uninstall it first and then reinstall it.

That's what I did and when I reinstalled it expecting it to be clean, I found the same thing I had just uninstalled.

That's why I asked you how to uninstall VirtualBox so that when I reinstall it, it will be clean.

Thanks
mpack
Site Moderator

Post by mpack »

In that case I have changed the title of your topic to properly reflect the question.

We have established that uninstalling VirtualBox will do nothing to your data. But if you delete your data then VirtualBox will be "clean" next time it starts up. There is actually no need to uninstall the software: if the manager finds that the .VirtualBox folder is missing, it will recreate it.

You also don't really need to delete the VMs either. They will not be accessible until re-registered - but you can delete individual VM folders or the entire "VirtualBox VMs" folder if you want to save space.
ALFIL

Re: How do I remove all VMs and VirtualBox config from the host PC?

Post by ALFIL »

Ok. Understood.

Thank you.
mpack
Site Moderator

Re: How do I remove all VMs and VirtualBox config from the host PC?

Post by mpack »

One thing I think I should clarify for future readers is that my mention of deleting VM folders only applies in this scenario when the .VirtualBox folder has been deleted too. Normally one should use the "Remove" menu item in the manager when you want to remove a VM.