Drag and drop issues (guest to host)

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
xerces8foo

Drag and drop issues (guest to host)

Post by xerces8foo »

Host: Windows 10 Pro 21H2, Vbox 6.1.38 (the free version, no Extension Pack) , 64 bit, 32 GB RAM
Guest: Windows 7 + Guest Additions v6.1.38 , 64 bit, 2 GB RAM

I can not copy files from Guest to Host.

Copy-paste does not do anything. I can copy/paste text, but files don't work. (not sure if this ever worked, but now I tried it because DnD does not work either).

DnD: If I drag files from guest to host, I get dialog 1 (see below) ... aaaand now it suddenly works. I have no idea why.

What happened before, was, that after dropping (releasing the mouse button) into a local folder on the host, I got a dialog (the usual Explorer one), that I need admin privileges to copy. The file name in the dialog was: AppData
After clicking "continue", a copy dialog appeared, collecting data ("Discovering items..."), apparently from my windows user folder ( C:\C:\Users\username ) and discovering over a gigabyte of files, which I canceled.

I tried this several times, even updated the guest additions from 6.1.36 to 6.1.38 (with reboot of the guest), but it still did not work. Until suddenly it did.

Any idea what is going on?

PS: No screenshot, as the problem disappeared while I was writing this report (before I could make a screenshot).
Last edited by xerces8foo on 20. Sep 2022, 14:33, edited 2 times in total.
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Re: Drag and drop issues (guest to host)

Post by mpack »

Copy/paste of files has never worked.