Share a new printer model on an old system

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
Luigen

Share a new printer model on an old system

Post by Luigen »

Hello everybody. My name is Luigi and I have a problem with the printer. I briefly describe my situation.
The HOST system is Windows 10 Home Edition.
On it I have installed an HPLaserjet MT110WE printer.
GUEST system is Windows XP SP3. I tried to install generic drivers for HP printers (PCL5 & PCL6) but the printer is not recognized in any way.
I cannot use the WIFI connection as the PC is not equipped with a WIFI connection in the environment where it should be used.
The question I ask is: is it possible to use the printer installed in the HOST system by sharing it in the GUEST system?
Clearly without installing drivers (or install generic drivers), because this printer model is not compatible with windows XP ...
Thanks for any replies and I apologize in advance if the topic had already been discussed previously, but I tried to search the forum and I did not find anything about it...
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Re: Share a new printer model on an old system

Post by scottgus1 »

Luigen wrote:is it possible to use the printer installed in the HOST system by sharing it in the GUEST system?
Clearly without installing drivers (or install generic drivers), because this printer model is not compatible with windows XP
If the printer had XP or generic working drivers, then you could set a Host-Only network between Windows 10 and XP, share the printer on the host, and XP would see it over the network.

But since there are no compatible XP drivers, you can print to PDF in the XP VM, copy the PDF over to the host Windows 10 through a Virtualbox Shared Folder, then print the PDF on the host. You'll need a XP-compatible PDF printer, and see section 4.3 in the manual for the Virtualbox Shared Folder.
Luigen

Post by Luigen »

Thanks Scottgus1 for the reply.
But unfortunately I omitted to say that I use Windows XP because I have an old program made in Visual Basic that I cannot in any way run under windows 10.
So I used VirtualBox to be able to emulate the windows xp operating system.
All right until my old HP Laserjet 1100 printer decided to shut down forever!
I'm sorry but your solution is not possible tu use. Anyway, thank you very much... and sorry for my poor english!!!
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Post by scottgus1 »

None of the conditions in your last post prevent you from using an XP-compatible PDF printer in the VM and printing the PDF on the host. Maybe you could say where you feel the problem is?

(I know this works because I've done it before... :wink: )