Could not install Extension Pack got an error message

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
angelbear

Could not install Extension Pack got an error message

Post by angelbear »

Hi.

I downloaded VrtualBox 6.1.38 platform packages yesterday and I had no problem, but when I tried to install the VirtualBox 6.1.38 Oracle VM VirtualBox Extension Pack got an error message as below.

"機能拡張パッケージ"C:/Users/麻紀子/Desktop/Downloads/Oracle_VM_VirtualBox_Extension_Pack-6.1.38.vbox-extpack"のインストールに失敗しました。

None of the 1 path(s) have a trust anchor.: \Device\HarddiskVolume4\Program Files\Oracle\VirtualBox\ExtensionPacks\Oracle_VM_VirtualBox_Extension_Pack\win.amd64\VBoxPuelMain.dll.

終了コード : E_FAIL (0x80004005)
コンポーネント: ExtPackManagerWrap
インターフェース: IExtPackManager {70401eef-c8e9-466b-9660-45cb3e9979e4}"

I don't know if it has anything to do with the folder name being in Kani as in 麻紀子 Chinese Characters which are two bite letters.

I live in Japan.

My PC:

HP 500-010jp

Windows8 6.2.9200 N/A build 9200 64bit

Intel Core i3-3240 CPU

RAM 8G

1TB (774GB free storage space in it)

If you could help me solve this problem, I'd really appreciate it.

Thank you.
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Re: Could not install Extension Pack got an error message

Post by scottgus1 »

I'm not certain that the Chinese characters in the path would be a problem. There's a worldwide usage of Virtualbox that should have made such a thing known before now. Of course, anything's possible....
angelbear wrote:None of the 1 path(s) have a trust anchor
I've researched this error and cannot pin down what it might mean regarding an Extension Pack file. This error seems to imply to me that a security certificate something-or-other didn't work correctly. Perhaps a re-install of the EP would help.

Uninstall the EP.
Reboot the host.
Right-click the main Virtualbox window icon and choose Run As Administrator.
Install the EP again.
Reboot the host again.
Try Virtualbox, please let us know what happens
angelbear

Post by angelbear »

Thank you, scottguys1.
I followed your instruction and while doing it, I turned off my anti-virus software as well (thinking it could have had something to do with the error) but I still got the same error, unable to install the extension pack.
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Post by scottgus1 »

Thanks for trying! I just noticed something else:
Windows8 6.2.9200
According to my web-search, this is the RTM build of Windows 8.0. So your host is probably a few updates behind, and security signing may be out of date. Unfortunately I don't know what to do to fix this besides updating the host OS.
angelbear

Post by angelbear »

Thank you, scottgus1 for your help.

The most recent Windows Update I did was about a week ago, but as for updating the build, I probably will wait till I really need to, because I'm afraid it could cause some other problems with other software on my PC, since some software are old and may not work properly with the new build.

Thank you so much again for your taking the time to do research and write comments.

Best,
Makiko
JohnnyM

Post by JohnnyM »

Hi,

I have had this same error, when trying to install the Extension Pack to get USB 2.0 functionality. I am running Win11 on the host machine and all up to date, so I don't believe its the hosts being out of date with Windows updates.
I too have tried running VMVB as admin, to reinstall the extension pack, but still same error.

None of the 1 path(s) have a trust anchor.: \Device\HarddiskVolume3\Program Files\Oracle\VirtualBox\ExtensionPacks\Oracle_VM_VirtualBox_Extension_Pack\win.amd64\VBoxPuelMain.dll.
JohnnyM

Post by JohnnyM »

ok 100% this is an issue in the latest EP,
I uninstalled everything, went to a previous version and it all installed no issues. I installed v6.1.36

Hope this helps
angelbear

Post by angelbear »

Hi JohnnyM.

Thank you for letting us know that.
It's really helpful to know "what not was the reason".
angelbear

Post by angelbear »

Hi JohnnyM.
Thank you for the update.
I will try the older version.

Thank you again!