Virtual machine characteristics

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
Lotar99

Virtual machine characteristics

Post by Lotar99 »

Hi, I have some questions about the technical characteristics of the virtual machine. Suppose that I created 10 virtual machine images(windows 10 64bit).
1) Mac address is equal for all?
2) IP address is equal for all?
3) how much megabytes approximately take 1 machine?
4) what physical characteristics is copied from my notebook?
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Re: Virtual machine characteristics

Post by mpack »

Lotar99 wrote: 1) Mac address is equal for all?
Nope, MAC address is a different random number every time, unless you cloned an existing VM and chose to preserve the MAC.
Lotar99 wrote: 2) IP address is equal for all?
Hard to say, it depends on the network you're talking about and the network mode. For local NAT the question is irrelevant (every VM is on its own virtual network). For bridged the IP is whatever your router on your LAN assigns, which will identify devices from their MAC. Note that it isn't allowed (or sensible/useful) to have multiple devices on the same physical network with the same MAC or IP address.
Lotar99 wrote: 3) how much megabytes approximately take 1 machine?
As many as you give it. Most OS will publish recommendations for minimum hardware requirements (both disk and RAM).
You should also consider the number of CPU cores. A modern OS likes two cores, so on a 4 core host you can only reasonably expect to run one VM at a time (2 cores to the VM, 2 cores retained by the host). Likewise make sure that you portion out RAM fairly too. E.g. on a 8GB host you might find that 5 GB is actually available after the host takes its bite, hence you could reasonably run two 2GB VMs at the same time.
Lotar99 wrote: 4) what physical characteristics is copied from my notebook?
Nothing except the CPU.

Final note... if the goal here is to (er...) adopt some novel approach to an online game server - note that they can detect that multiple devices are connecting from one location, because all will have the same real Internet IP address, as assigned to your house connection by your IT provider. Your LAN address is not your Internet address.