Can't install Alma/Rocky/Centos Stream

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
LesD

Can't install Alma/Rocky/Centos Stream

Post by LesD »

Running W10, 6.1.34 of VB and Hyper-V not installed.

I have many Centos 7 VMs running without issues.

I have now tried V9 of Alma/Rocky/Centos Stream and all hang with a black screen.

I have tried 8.6 with Alma and Rocky and they both hang earlier in the process with gibberish on the screen and Num Lock and Caps Lock flashing.

I then tried an original Centos 8.5 and got exactly the same as Alma/Rocky 8.6

I have seen the thread on 'deep' disabling Hyper-V viewtopic.php?f=25&t=99390 but I can't see the error quoted there in my own log.

Before sending logs and the like, has anyone managed to install any of these on W10 and how?

(I would try the hyper-v thing in the link but I have many VMs running and can't reboot my PC without major disruption)
LesD

Re: Can't install Alma/Rocky/Centos Stream

Post by LesD »

I saw mention of Centos 8 requiring more memory (quoted minimum 2GB) so I checked and found it was set by default to 512 (I had selected Linux > Other Linux.

Changed to 2GB and the install worked.

Subsequently I found that it booted up even with a setting of 512KB.
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

I thought it would be obvious, but choose the correct template for your VM. There is a specific option for Red Hat that you should have used.
LesD

Post by LesD »

I did not go for Red Hat as Alma is not Red Hat - so I went for Other.

But you are right - in the absence of something specific its still the Red Hat family.
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

The Alma website says it is compatible with Red Hat and CentOS. Indicating to me that it's another Red Hat fork going after the same customer base now that Red Hat itself has pulled out of CentOS development.

In any case, if one answer does not apply to all distros mentioned then they should have been separate topics: our rule is one question, one topic otherwise things get messy.