Virtual box not starting

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
Fulvioval

Virtual box not starting

Post by Fulvioval »

Hi guys, I need some help here.

Recently I started having problems with Virtual Box, v6.1.36. After used sometime, now when I click on ai windows icon to open it to start my VM nothing happens, not even a error message. I tried few things like:

-Uninstall and reinstall Virtual box
-Clean install of Windows 11 and fresh install of Virtual Box (it open sometimes but after stop openning)
-Clean install of Windows 10 and fresh install of Virtual Box (it open sometimes but after stop openning)

When I check my task manager I can see Virtual Box processes (VirtualBox Global Interface, VirtualBox Interface and VirtualBox Manager)

I have no idea what more can I try.

Thanks for any help.
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Re: Virtual box not starting

Post by mpack »

How are you starting your VMs? If it's from a desktop shortcut then be aware that VirtualBox changed how shortcuts work a while back (i.e. they use a different launcher). So just recreate the shortcuts from inside the manager and you'll be fine.

If you're launching the VM from inside the manager then we'll need to see a VM log file from one such attempt. Make sure the VM is fully shut down, then right click it in the manager UI. Select "Show Log" and save "VBox.log" (no other file) to a zip file. Attach the zip here.
Fulvioval

Post by Fulvioval »

I was starting from manager, but problem is manager is not opening. I click to open Virtual Box manager and nothing happens, not even a error message.
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

Three things I can think of:

This doesn't entirely fit, but make sure Hyper-v is not enabled on the host. HMR3Init: Attempting fall back to NEM (Hyper-V is active). Normally this affects VMs, not the manager, but it's still worth checking IMO.

Are you using third party AV? - anything not provided by Microsoft. Just about everything goes out the window if so.

Sometimes if you have a broken network connection (say, a broken share) then VirtualBox can wait forever or at least take a very long time to give up on it. I believe VirtualBox is checking on recent files availability when this happens, so a possible fix for the confident would be to delete VirtualBox.xml and re-register all your VMs, for the really confident you can edit VirtualBox.xml to delete the recent files list.
Fulvioval

Post by Fulvioval »

I checked hyper-v but by default its disabled.

I used Kaspersky, but to test I format machine and not installed it.

Broken network I guess not, I made a new Windows install.

When this happen Virtual box record any log in his folder?
fth0
Volunteer
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: Linux, Windows 10, ...

Post by fth0 »

Check the C:\Users\<username>\.VirtualBox\ folder, especially the selectorwindow.log file. You can also post a zip file with the contents of the folder, and we'll have a look, too.

If the VirtualBox Manager is visible in the Windows Task Bar, you could try to maximize the window using the context menu there. This could help if the current window coordinates are outside of the screen.