"Failed to acquire COM object"

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
hello is me

"Failed to acquire COM object"

Post by hello is me »

i tried to restart virtualbox but when i try to open it it says "Failed to acquire COM object. The application will now be terminated."
i reinstalled it and i redownloaded it from the actual site
but when i opened it again it says "Installation failed! Error: This installation package could not be opened. Contact the application vendor to verify that this is a valid Windows Installer package."
now what do i do? :(
Last edited by scottgus1 on 6. Sep 2022, 16:07, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: changed topic title
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Re: having a problem right now

Post by scottgus1 »

hello is me wrote:i tried to restart virtualbox but when i try to open it it says "Failed to acquire COM object. The application will now be terminated."
This involves a failed install, often because the .sys files installed by the older version of Virtualbox were being locked by the host OS and the installer couldn't replace them. However:
hello is me wrote:when i opened it again it says "Installation failed! Error: This installation package could not be opened. Contact the application vendor to verify that this is a valid Windows Installer package."
Do the download again, it could be a bad download.

Uninstall Virtualbox and reboot.
Go to "C:\Windows\System32\drivers", look for any files called 'Vbox*.sys' (there could be up to 5) and delete them.
Reboot again.
If you have any 3rd-party security or anti-malware software, disable the living daylights out of it for a moment.
Reinstall Virtualbox using right-click-Run-As-Administrator.
hello is me

Post by hello is me »

scottgus1 wrote:If you have any 3rd-party security or anti-malware software, disable the living daylights out of it for a moment.
heres the problem:
i dont have any antivirus software enabled.
scottgus1
Site Moderator

Post by scottgus1 »

hello is me wrote:i dont have any antivirus software enabled.
That's OK, that situation is covered by the word "If". If you have X do Y. So if you don't have X you don't have to do Y. QED.

How did the rest of the instructions turn out?
hello is me

Post by hello is me »

scottgus1 wrote:How did the rest of the instructions turn out?
tried all of them, none of them worked sadly but the difference is that when i open it again it doesnt say installation failed, it just says "failed to acquire virtualbox com object"
but i guess this is the same reason:
scottgus1 wrote:This involves a failed install, often because the .sys files installed by the older version of Virtualbox were being locked by the host OS and the installer couldn't replace them.
scottgus1
Site Moderator

Post by scottgus1 »

It's a procedure:
scottgus1 wrote:1. Uninstall Virtualbox and reboot.
2. Go to "C:\Windows\System32\drivers", look for any files called 'Vbox*.sys' (there could be up to 5) and delete them.
3. Reboot again.
4. If you have any 3rd-party security or anti-malware software, disable the living daylights out of it for a moment.
5. Reinstall Virtualbox using right-click-Run-As-Administrator.
What happens at each step?
hello is me

Post by hello is me »

scottgus1 wrote:It's a procedure:
scottgus1 wrote:1. Uninstall Virtualbox and reboot.
2. Go to "C:\Windows\System32\drivers", look for any files called 'Vbox*.sys' (there could be up to 5) and delete them.
3. Reboot again.
4. If you have any 3rd-party security or anti-malware software, disable the living daylights out of it for a moment.
5. Reinstall Virtualbox using right-click-Run-As-Administrator.
What happens at each step?
or it could be that the disk space is not available for the program to install, thats my guess...