Windows machine not starting

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
rafflo

Windows machine not starting

Post by rafflo »

Hi,

My Windows VM got stuck when trying to start it at this logo in the attachment. I also attached the VBox log, anyone have some idea why it doesn't start?

I am using Version 6.1.36 r152435 (Qt5.6.2), and do not have problems with other VM's.
Attachments
logo.PNG
logo.PNG (6.35 KiB) Viewed 1054 times
VBox.log
(92.83 KiB) Downloaded 6 times
ecccc3

Re: Windows machine not starting

Post by ecccc3 »

Maybe not enough memory size ? Windows 10 ( if it's ) is RAM heavy .
rafflo

Post by rafflo »

ecccc3 wrote:Maybe not enough memory size ? Windows 10 ( if it's ) is RAM heavy .
I lowered the RAM from 12GB to 8GB and shut down the other VM's I have running, but still can't start it..really weird. I started it this morning, then just paused it (did nothing special) and now can't start it.
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

The host has plenty of RAM, this isn't a RAM availability problem.

The log shows that the Guest Additions were loaded after only 8 seconds, so the VM seems to be booting just fine. Unfortunately the log is truncated right after that so nothing else useful can be said. Do not copy files while the VM is running, and zip logs to ensure they are below the server size limit.

I don't like the fact that you only assigned 27MB graphics RAM: I would max that parameter out.
rafflo

Post by rafflo »

mpack wrote:The host has plenty of RAM, this isn't a RAM availability problem.

The log shows that the Guest Additions were loaded after only 8 seconds, so the VM seems to be booting just fine. Unfortunately the log is truncated right after that so nothing else useful can be said. Do no copy files while the VM is running, and zip logs to ensure they are below the server size limit.

I don't like the fact that you only assigned 27MB graphics RAM: I would max that parameter out.
I have 8GB of RAM on this VM. I attached the whole log folder now
Attachments
Logs.7z
(77.29 KiB) Downloaded 3 times
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

rafflo wrote:I have 8GB of RAM on this VM.
GRAPHICS RAM (a.k.a. video memory) is what I said you need to adjust. See settings | Display.

But again, the guest OS is starting just fine. I suggest the you leave it longer than 28 seconds to see if something happens. I would also disable any USB filters you have enabled as some people are reporting problems with that with the 6.1.36 release.
rafflo

Post by rafflo »

mpack wrote:
rafflo wrote:I have 8GB of RAM on this VM.
GRAPHICS RAM (a.k.a. video memory) is what I said you need to adjust. See settings | Display.

But again, the guest OS is starting just fine. I suggest the you leave it longer than 28 seconds to see if something happens. I would also disable any USB filters you have enabled as some people are reporting problems with that with the 6.1.36 release.
Thanks, that solved it!