When I try to use 3D acceleration, the VM crashes with an error like the attached screenshot.

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
kdaek

When I try to use 3D acceleration, the VM crashes with an error like the attached screenshot.

Post by kdaek »

* I am Korean, so the contents of the screenshots are in Korean, and the contents in English are double-translated using a translator and copied and pasted.

Start the VM after enabling 3D acceleration as below screenshot shown.
3d acceleration settings
3d acceleration settings
화면 캡처 2022-07-28 162619.jpg (61.8 KiB) Viewed 7408 times
If you try to use 3D acceleration on a VM started like this, the VM dies with an error like the screenshot below.
VM crash!!
VM crash!!
화면 캡처 2022-07-28 161704.jpg (29.2 KiB) Viewed 7408 times
I tried reducing the video memory size to 128MB just in case, but the same symptom occurs.

Below is the system information.
* The current PC is a company PC, so I did not run games and other 3D programs, and an error occurred when I tried to run WebGL in the browser.
========== Host PC Info(Laptop) ==========
CPU : Intel Core i7-11800H
VGA1 : Intel UHD Graphics
VGA2 : NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060 Laptop GPU
VirtualBox Version : 6.1.36 (The same symptom occurred in 6.1.30)
=================================

========= Guest OS Info =============
Guest1 OS : Windows 11 Home (Installed for various personal testing purposes)
Guest2 OS : Debian 11
============================
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Re: When I try to use 3D acceleration, the VM crashes with an error like the attached screenshot.

Post by mpack »

Please provide a VM log file. Make sure the VM is fully shut down, then right click it in the manager UI. Select "Show Log" and save "VBox.log" (no other file) to a zip file. Attach the zip here.
kdaek

Re: When I try to use 3D acceleration, the VM crashes with an error like the attached screenshot.

Post by kdaek »

mpack wrote:Please provide a VM log file. Make sure the VM is fully shut down, then right click it in the manager UI. Select "Show Log" and save "VBox.log" (no other file) to a zip file. Attach the zip here.
Attach the log file.
I checked another guest (Windows 10) and the same symptom occurred.
Attachments
Logs.zip
(48.6 KiB) Downloaded 14 times
Last edited by mpack on 28. Jul 2022, 12:32, edited 3 times in total.
Reason: Remove superfluous unzipped (and duplicated) attachment.
mpack
Site Moderator
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

The instructions do not seem to have been followed. The VirtualBox application needs to be closed down before grabbing the log, otherwise we end up with a truncated log such as the one you provided. There is no sign of an error in the partial VM log provided.

The hardening log does seem to be complete, and shows that a DLL crashed with a 0xC0000005 error. This probably means that you have a certification problem in one of the host Intel Graphics DLLs. Try checking for updates for the Intel Graphics driver package. For background see FAQ: Diagnosing VirtualBox Hardening Issues.
fth0
Volunteer
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: Linux, Windows 10, ...

Post by fth0 »

FWIW, I've seen a few VBox.log files without the expected rtR3WinUnhandledXcptFilter log messages in the last months. One current theory is that the exception occurs during the creation of another log message, because then the rtR3WinUnhandledXcptFilter cannot acquire the necessary lock to write its log messages to the VBox.log file.
kdaek

Post by kdaek »

I got the Intel graphics driver from the laptop manufacturer's site and installed it and tested it again.

In the same way, if you try to use 3D acceleration, the same error occurs.
The laptop is used for business purposes at work (in fact, there is no need to use 3D), so there are two monitors attached. .
=> I tried moving the virtual machine screen to the monitor to which the RTX 3060 is assigned, just in case, but the same error occurs.

Could the error occur due to the specificity of the laptop applied?
The content here says to turn off the antivirus software, so I tested it with real-time monitoring turned off.

When I tested it on a PC at home, it seems that it is not a conflict with hyper-v, as 3D acceleration is normal without errors regardless of whether hyper-v (including virtual machine platform function) is used.

After the error occurs, the virtual machine dies and turns off, so the logs after that are not recorded, so the log file seems to be truncated (?).

In conclusion, the desktop I am using at home has no problem with 3D acceleration, but
The laptop I use at work has problems with 3D acceleration.

Graphics drivers are up to date on both PCs.
A desktop PC is an assembled PC and has built-in graphics, but only external graphics are being used.
BillG
Volunteer
Guest OSses: Windows 10,7 and earlier

Post by BillG »

The graphics card in the host PC and what driver it uses has no effect on the graphics in the vm. The vm has its own emulated graphics card - it does not use the host's graphics card at all.
Bill
fth0
Volunteer
Guest OSses: Linux, Windows 10, ...

Post by fth0 »

For a test, can you complete disable (e.g. in the BIOS) the Intel graphics and reproduce the issue? Additionally, can you completely disable the NVIDIA graphics and reproduce the issue?
kdaek

Post by kdaek »

BillG wrote:The graphics card in the host PC and what driver it uses has no effect on the graphics in the vm. The vm has its own emulated graphics card - it does not use the host's graphics card at all.
When using 3D acceleration in Virtualbox VM, it definitely uses the host's graphics card (GPU).

If you run the 3D program on the VM and check the GPU item in the Performance tab in the task manager of the host, you can see that the 3D area is being used in real time.
kdaek

Post by kdaek »

fth0 wrote:For a test, can you complete disable (e.g. in the BIOS) the Intel graphics and reproduce the issue? Additionally, can you completely disable the NVIDIA graphics and reproduce the issue?
I did a few more tests and it was confirmed to be a problem with a specific browser made in Korea.

I am using a domestic browser called Whale (made by Naver), which is based on Chrome, but there seems to be a problem with the WebGL operation of this browser.

It seems that the Whale Browser + Virtualbox + Intel GPU combination causes a memory address error when the Whale Browser is running WebGL.

There is no memory address problem in Whale Browser + Virtualbox + other GPUs (Nvidia, etc.), but WebGL 3D rendering is not normal.

If the guest is Windows, the VM died with the same error at the time when it was written that the same error occurs in Windows, but when I test it again now, it works as if it were normal. This will be tested again.

As a result of checking in multiple browsers, it was confirmed that 3D rendering works without problems in other browsers.

MS seems to have recognized the problem. If you run WebGL after running Whale for Linux on Windows 11's improved WSL2, the WSL2 console shows that WebGL has been blacklisted. And WebGL operation is blocked. (WebGL works in other browsers)

We will close the issue here and report to Naver that Whale for Linux has a problem with 3D acceleration.
kdaek

Post by kdaek »

Further testing led to the following conclusions:

1. The host's GPU type and driver version are irrelevant
=> This does not mean that the host's GPU is not used.
=> Outdated drivers may cause problems

2. No problem when using single GPU (Intel GPU only, Nvidia GPU only, etc.).
=> However, I have not tested the case of using the same graphics card together, so I cannot guarantee how it will work in this case.

3. Problems occur when using a mixed interior/exterior
=> Since it is a DELL laptop, there is no specific GPU-related setting item in the BIOS (I checked it today), so I tested it as follows.
------------------------------------------------------------ ----------------------
1 ) Disconnect the monitor that is bound to the external GPU
2 ) Check the WebGL operation for each browser
=> Except for the Whale browser, it is confirmed that WebGL is running normally (If the guest is Windows, the Whale browser is also normal, which seems to be a problem with the Whale browser for Linux)
3 ) Connect the monitor bound to the external GPU again and proceed with the test in item 2 ) above.
=> It is confirmed that an error occurs and the VM dies at the moment when WebGL is used regardless of browser and guest OS
------------------------------------------------------------ ----------------------
=> The PC you are using at home has both internal and external enabled, but only the external graphics are being used, so only the external GPU is actually being used.
=> When you try to use the host's GPU when using 3D acceleration while both internal/external are in use, it seems that a crash occurs due to both internal and external active states (to be posted separately).
multiOS
Volunteer
Guest OSses: WIN11,10, 7, Linux (various)

Post by multiOS »

It would be more accurate to say that under specific circumstances virtual machines can make of some of the Host's Graphics capabilities, providing that the Guest Additions are installed, but the VM cannot not use the Hosts Graphics Card as a direct replacement for the virtual graphics card selected. There is no 'pass-through' capability.

Section 4.5 of the VirtualBox User Guide explains, starting with:
4.5.1 Hardware 3D Acceleration (OpenGL and Direct3D 8/9)

The Oracle VM VirtualBox Guest Additions contain experimental hardware 3D support for Windows, Linux, and Oracle Solaris guests.
With this feature, if an application inside your virtual machine uses 3D features through the OpenGL or Direct3D 8/9 programming interfaces, instead of emulating them in software, which would be slow, Oracle VM VirtualBox will attempt to use your host’s 3D hardware. This works for all supported host platforms, provided that your host operating system can make use of your accelerated 3D hardware in the first place.

The 3D acceleration feature currently has the following preconditions:
• It is only available for certain Windows, Linux, and Oracle Solaris guests. In particular:
– 3D acceleration with Windows guests requires Windows 2000 or later. Apart from on Windows 2000 guests, both OpenGL and Direct3D 8/9 are supported on an experi- mental basis.
– OpenGL on Linux requires kernel 2.6.27 or later, as well as X.org server version 1.5 or later. Ubuntu 10.10 and Fedora 14 have been tested and confirmed as working.
– OpenGL on Oracle Solaris guests requires X.org server version 1.5 or later.