Trouble with Windows 10 21H2

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
inMetal1945

Trouble with Windows 10 21H2

Post by inMetal1945 »

Hello,
We are currently using VM on Windows 10 Ver. 1809 machines. Inside of the VM, we are running Windows XP Pro 2002 to use manufacturing software that only runs on that platform. Our version of VM is 6.1.30.
Our problem arises when Windows forces the update to 21H2 - the VM no longer operates properly. The VM won't load, or it will just display a black screen, or it just forces the program to shut down.
I've spent several hours trying to look for a similar problem, and I've had no luck, so I sincerely apologize if this has been resolved. We've had to completely reset several machines in recent weeks as Windows forces the update to 21H2, and we're struggling to keep things running.

I can try to answer as many questions as possible, we're just hoping someone could help us get this nightmare resolved.

Thanks for your time!
JJ, for inMetal1945
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Re: Trouble with Windows 10 21H2

Post by mpack »

Try upgrading to 6.1.36.

If problems persist then provide a VM log file of the non-working VM. Make sure the VM is fully shut down, then right click it in the manager UI. Select "Show Log" and save "VBox.log" (no other file) to a zip file. Attach the zip here.

I'm using 21H2 myself, and regularly use XP Pro VMs with no problem.

I'm going to guess that you have Hyper-v enabled: see HMR3Init: Attempting fall back to NEM (Hyper-V is active).
BillG
Volunteer
Guest OSses: Windows 10,7 and earlier

Post by BillG »

If it is Hyper-V, upgrading to 6.1.36 may not help. Most of my vms are happy running with the Windows hypervisor loaded (turtle mode) with 6.1.36, but XP is so slow it is unusable, especially on bootup. I don't know why - Win2000 and Vista 32-bit are not nearly so much affected.
Bill
mpack
Site Moderator
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

Well, sticking with 6.1.30 is not an option either, so my actual recommendation was to upgrade to 6.1.36 and scrap Hyper-v.
fth0
Volunteer
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: Linux, Windows 10, ...

Post by fth0 »

BillG wrote:Most of my vms are happy running with the Windows hypervisor loaded (turtle mode) with 6.1.36, but XP is so slow it is unusable, especially on bootup. I don't know why - Win2000 and Vista 32-bit are not nearly so much affected.
If you'd run the VMs for 3 minutes each and provided the corresponding VBox.log files (preferably in a separate thread ;)), I'd take a look.