A critical error has occurred while running the virtual machine and the machine execution has been..

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
lippySlip

A critical error has occurred while running the virtual machine and the machine execution has been..

Post by lippySlip »

I am trying to get into penetration testing but I am having trouble deploying a vulnerable VM, specifically brainpan 1 from vulnhub.
Anyway, after ensuring all settings were valid and redownloading the .ova file (double checking the md5 hash) I am getting the following error "A critical error has occurred while running the virtual machine and the machine execution has been stopped"

I have attached the log file.

Thank you.
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Re: A critical error has occurred while running the virtual machine and the machine execution has be

Post by scottgus1 »

Start the VM from full normal shutdown, not save-state. Run until you see the problem happen, then shut down the VM from within the VM's OS if possible. If not possible, close the Virtualbox window for the VM with the Power Off option set.

Right-click the VM in the main Virtualbox window's VM list, choose Show Log. Save the far left tab's log, zip it, and post the zip file, using the forum's Upload Attachment tab.
lippySlip

Re: A critical error has occurred while running the virtual machine and the machine execution has be

Post by lippySlip »

scottgus1 wrote:Start the VM from full normal shutdown, not save-state. Run until you see the problem happen, then shut down the VM from within the VM's OS if possible. If not possible, close the Virtualbox window for the VM with the Power Off option set.

Right-click the VM in the main Virtualbox window's VM list, choose Show Log. Save the far left tab's log, zip it, and post the zip file, using the forum's Upload Attachment tab.
There was no save-state to be discarded so I assume there's no need? I have no idea how to start from full normal shutdown as I am having this issue after a fresh download.
I have followed the rest of the steps and have saved the log (which I have attached)
Attachments
Logs.zip
(58.37 KiB) Downloaded 10 times
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Post by scottgus1 »

This is what the guru meditated over:
00:00:02.076023 VirtualBox VM 6.1.36 r152435 win.amd64 (Jul 19 2022 21:51:27) release log
00:00:16.646741 Console: Machine state changed to 'GuruMeditation'
00:00:16.646874 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
00:00:16.646874 !!
00:00:16.646875 !! VCPU0: Guru Meditation -6893 (VERR_NEM_IPE_3)
The reason for this error isn't clear to me yet.

Hyper-V is enabled on the host. Virtualbox is supposed to be able to run under Hyper-V in some circumstances, but maybe not in your host's situation. Please try disabling Hyper-V, see HMR3Init: Attempting fall back to NEM (Hyper-V is active).