Shared folder no longer available

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
korda

Shared folder no longer available

Post by korda »

I cannot share file through shared folder anymore (neither from host or guest)
The shared folder always worked till the last boot: any tip?

Host: Windows 10 Pro (with VirtualBox 6.1.22)
Guest: Kubuntu 20.04 LTS
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Re: Shared folder no longer available

Post by mpack »

Please provide a VM log file. Make sure the VM is fully shut down, then right click it in the manager UI. Select "Show Log" and save "VBox.log" (no other file) to a zip file. Attach the zip here.
korda

Post by korda »

Logs.zip
(147.25 KiB) Downloaded 5 times
Here there are the logs attached
Currently I removed shared folder, since it doesn't work
multiOS
Volunteer
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: WIN11,10, 7, Linux (various)

Post by multiOS »

I don't see anything in the log that would be relevant to the issue your having (tho' someone else might). The host does have other limitations (dual-core CPU) which may impact on Host/VM performance; and the version of VirtualBox being used is getting 'rather old', but if it works for you then fine.

One thing to check is that, in my experience, if all Host shared folders are deleted from the settings for a Linux Guest then the Linux Distro will also automatically remove the user from membership of the vboxsf user group, so user membership of that group has to be reinstated if a shared folder is then added/recreated.
korda

Post by korda »

multiOS wrote:One thing to check is that, in my experience, if all Host shared folders are deleted from the settings for a Linux Guest then the Linux Distro will also automatically remove the user from membership of the vboxsf user group, so user membership of that group has to be reinstated if a shared folder is then added/recreated.
So have I to launch groupadd command for the user at the guest machine (once I have re-attached the shared folder)?
I don't remember I had done so the forst time, I will try

Edit: nope, user is already in vboxsf group, also I have added chmod 777 to mountpoint
Last edited by korda on 27. Jul 2022, 13:57, edited 1 time in total.
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

I suggest you update to VirtualBox 6.1.36, including the 6.1.36 Guest Additions.
multiOS
Volunteer
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: WIN11,10, 7, Linux (various)

Post by multiOS »

@korda,

The vboxsf user group is created automatically in a Linux VM when any shared folders are added to that VM via VirtualBox 'Settings' or the Devices > Shared Folders menu item in a running VM. What you need to do is add the user to that user group when the VM is running.

The method of adding users to groups can vary between the various linux distributions, but entering the following command in Terminal should work on an Ubuntu-based system, providing the user has admin privileges;

Code: Select all

sudo usermod -a -G vboxsf `whoami`
Resboot the VM after the command is accepted and check if the shared folders are visible to the user. Logging out and back in to the user account, instead of a reboot, also often works.
korda

Post by korda »

mpack wrote:I suggest you update to VirtualBox 6.1.36, including the 6.1.36 Guest Additions.
Done: it works again!!!
But I am wondering what happened since I have not update anything (nor guest nor host) between a correct boot and the subsequent failed.