Windows 10 host crashes when running Ubuntu VM when USB device is connected.

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
OmiKar

Windows 10 host crashes when running Ubuntu VM when USB device is connected.

Post by OmiKar »

I am running VirtualBox 6.1 and spun up a machine (Debian 64 bit). As soon as I connect a USB device on the Windows host machine and (if the VM is running or if I start with this USB device plugged in), the host crashes. No log is saved, it just crashes. I see a 0kb log in the logs folder. Whatever log is saved is attached here. The USB device is a USB2CAN Korlan device that shows up in Device Manager as WinUsb device with driver no 10.0.19041.1
I have seen many other people posting that changing the device type helps but I dont see an option to change the device type in the VirtualBox settings.
Btw: I can run the virtualbox software without problems. I can see the settings. It doesnt matter if I share the USB device or not. As soon as I start the VM the host (windows 10 machine) crashes.
One more thing to add: It doesnt matter which USB port on the Windows machine I plug this device in. Also, if the VM is running and I plug the device the Windows machine crashes. If the device is already plugged in and I start the VM, the Windows machine crashes.
Attachments
VBoxHardening.log
(31.89 KiB) Downloaded 16 times
OmiKar

Re: Windows 10 host crashes when running Ubuntu VM when USB device is connected.

Post by OmiKar »

I solved it by downgrading the VirtualBox to 6.0.24. Everything runs fine with this version (same Virtual Machine)
I could not get the latest version of VB 6.1.36 to ever work and share a USB device to any VM.
I referred to: https://www.virtualbox.org/ticket/19326#comment:23
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Re: Windows 10 host crashes when running Ubuntu VM when USB device is connected.

Post by scottgus1 »

The hardening log dies off very quickly. And the fact that the host "crashes" (does this mean it does a Blue Screen Of Death?) indicates that the problem would probably not be in the logs.

Did you upgrade from 6.0.24 to 6.1.36? If not, how did you decide on 6.0.24?

It is not normal for the whole host to crash soon as you try to use a USB device in a VM. If you wish to help us troubleshoot this further, here are some things to try:

1. Do a clean install of Virtualbox 6.1.36:
Uninstall Virtualbox and reboot.
Go to "C:\Windows\System32\drivers", look for any files called 'Vbox*.sys' (there could be up to 5) and delete them.
Reboot again.
If you have any 3rd-party security or anti-malware software, disable the living daylights out of it for a moment.
Reinstall Virtualbox using right-click-Run-As-Administrator.

2. if the same thing happens, please try a different USB device, such as a simple USB thumb drive. You might also use typical Windows blue screen debugging methods (There's a Microsoft app in the Microsoft Store to debug blue screens, I think it's called "WinDbg Preview") to find out exactly what the cause of the crash was.

3. If the thumb drive also fails, please downgrade Virtualbox to 6.1.34: https://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Download_Old_Builds_6_1 (also change the Extension Pack.) Do the same uninstall/reinstall routine as in #1 above.

4. If your device and the thumb drive both fail on 6.1.34, you might try checking if there are more up-to-date drivers for the USB system on your computer. Or if you have some extra-aggressive security software or other filtering software that check USB.