Virtualbox is dead

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
TrashHunter

Virtualbox is dead

Post by TrashHunter »

Hi,
due to an absolute super-gloom I was forced to buy a new computer and it was only available with Windows 11. before that I had Windows 10.

Now, with Windows 11, I can absolutely no longer install a VM or get it running. I always get the following error message:

A new session could not be opened for the Suse virtual machine.

Not in a hypervisor partition (HVP=0) (VERR_NEM_NOT_AVAILABLE).

AMD-V is disabled in the BIOS (or by the host OS) (VERR_SVM_DISABLED).

Error code: E_FAIL (0x80004005)
Component: ConsoleWrap
Interface: IConsole {872da645-4a9b-1727-bee2-5585105b9eed}

This comes up on all OS attempts, whether Linux, or Windows. NOTHING works :(

What can I do to get VirtualBox working again?
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Re: Virtualbox is dead

Post by scottgus1 »

TrashHunter wrote:AMD-V is disabled in the BIOS (or by the host OS) (VERR_SVM_DISABLED).
See I have a 64bit host, but can't install 64bit guests.
TrashHunter

Re: Virtualbox is dead / SOLVED

Post by TrashHunter »

The problem is solved :)

Why ever MSI hides this setting on its motherboards in the overclocking section is beyond me, but that's exactly where I found the corresponding switch after visiting the MSI user forum.
Users of current MSI motherboards, who encounter the same problem, have to go into their bios and there into the OC section. There is a switch SVC in the Advanced CPU Settings section, which has to be set to ON. (Depending on the architecture of the MoBo it may be called differently, but this is the switch).
Set it to ON and VirtualBox will suddenly have no more problems starting virtual machines after the reboot. (If necessary, various VM-x switches in the kernel of Windows 11 must be activated via service management. But this was not necessary for my installation).

Thanks for the valuable tips here, which showed me the way :)