cant ping windows server 2012 domain controller from windows 10 HELP

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
slicedcheese

cant ping windows server 2012 domain controller from windows 10 HELP

Post by slicedcheese »

I'm taking an Alison course on ethical hacking, and they told me to install VirtualBox and a bunch of iso files. I set up the windows 2012 server and then moved to the windows 10 client to join the domain I created before.
however, in the video you click "use domain login instead" or something, but that didn't appear for me. not only that, I followed the instructions to change my windows 10 client DNS to the same one I used in the DNS from windows server 2012, as well as a specific ip address. then, they told me to ping the server to make sure i was connected. despite following all instructions i could perfectly, it still says destination host unreachable. can someone help?
some additional information: the kali linux machine, the metasploitable machine, the windows server 2012 machine and the windows 10 machine are all connected to host-only adapter, like they asked in the course. do I need to reinstall windows 10 again? i already did this 5 times before
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Re: ping reply windows server 2012: destination host unreachable

Post by scottgus1 »

Joining a client computer to a domain isn't part of the scope of this forum, but we can certainly help checking that the virtual environment is set up correctly for a domain lab.

A lab for a Windows domain should be done with the VMs connected to one "Internal" network. Internet can enter the lab through the server VM, if you want to set up a second network adapter in the server VM and enable router services in the server OS (I think that this is not recommended to be done on a domain controller). Or you can set up a router OS VM to inject internet into the Internal network, and have the domain controller handle the DNS etc. See Virtualbox Networks: In Pictures: "Sandbox"

The Sandbox setup most closely simulates a real-world office domain:
The DC and clients will all be peers on the Internal network, then the clients can connect to the domain. If you add a router VM a la Sandbox, the router OS does not have to be (and shouldn't, if I understand properly) try to attach to the domain; it would only be a non-domain peer on the Internal network, behaving just like a router on the real office domain.