Host(win10) can't compleet it's Boot up.

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
Nonlin

Host(win10) can't compleet it's Boot up.

Post by Nonlin »

I have a problem were the host boots up really really slow and never even completes it's boot up. I had it on one time for 3 days and it never left the start up screen.

What I have is Windows 10 as host on the main machine running window 10 too.
And originally it worked just fine.
Then I expanded the main computers memory from 4G to 16Gs
That's when the problem started.

I search around the net for a solution and tried:
VBoxManage modifyvm <vmname> --largepages off
with no success
tried to turning off acceleration witch seem promising but it still too way to long for me to find out if it was going to work.

The 3D Acceleration is off

I have not been able to find were the enable "Use host cache" option is.

and the only thing I haven't tried is to downgrade VBox to 5.0.20 from the 6.1.32 that I am currently running.

If someone would be willing to help me, I am currently booting it up with the --startvm VM_NAME --dbg options, so I should have lots of logs to show you guys.
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Re: Host(win10) can't compleet it's Boot up.

Post by scottgus1 »

Right-click the guest in the main Virtualbox window's guest list, choose Show Log.

Search the far left tab's log for this text:

Attempting fall back to NEM

If you find it, Hyper-V is enabled. See HMR3Init: Attempting fall back to NEM (Hyper-V is active).

If you don't find that text, save the far left tab's log, zip the log file, and post the zip file, using the forum's Upload Attachment tab.
Nonlin

Post by Nonlin »

Ok, hear it is.

I was trying to also give you some debug info to, but I did not do it right. So I can re-run it if you want more info.

In the mean time I will restore the virtual disk from it''s back up just in case something got damaged from me having to force a shutdown.

Thank, I look forward to your findings.
Attachments
Win1_10pro-2022-06-25-16-50-34.zip
(30.04 KiB) Downloaded 3 times
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Post by scottgus1 »

Hyper-V is not enabled, which is good.

The VM has only one processor, and Windows 10 just adores having 2. Also, add a GB or 2 to the RAM. See what that does.
Nonlin

Post by Nonlin »

So I did as you suggested, gave it 2 CPUs and 4G of Ram

No difference. It still can't boot up.

hear is a copy of the log so can see for your self.

I had not considered trying this before, because, as I said, it use to work perfectly with just the 1 CPU and ever less then 2Gigs of ram. Something has changed and like I said the big change was the amount of memory, the only other thing I had dun is Turn on "Windows Subsystem for Linux" and install Linux so i can run bash scripts from windows itself on the main machine. But that has nothing to do with Vbox.
Attachments
Win1_10pro-2022-06-25-22-10-09.zip
(33.17 KiB) Downloaded 5 times
mpack
Site Moderator
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

This looks like a guest problem to me. The VM is running fine, and reporting that the guest OS is unresponsive. I note however that the host has two cores, both of which are assigned to the guest. This scenario can mean that any CPU load on the host affects the guest too. Do not take this to mean that the config needs to be changed: IMO there is no better solution when only two cores are available to run two OS which both like to have two cores.
fth0
Volunteer
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: Linux, Windows 10, ...

Post by fth0 »

Win1_10pro-2022-06-25-22-10-09.log wrote:
00:00:48.368784 AIOMgr: Endpoint for file 'C:\Users\ABCD\VirtualBox VMs\Win1_10pro\Win1_10pro.vdi' (flags 000c0723) created successfully
00:00:48.393206 VD: Opening the disk took 37183322305 ns
Opening the VDI file took ~37 seconds. In the log file, the value is given in ns (nanoseconds), because this operation usually takes a few hundred us (microseconds) or a few ms (milliseconds). Having an older CPU does not explain this large delay. I'd suggest to investigate the disk I/O on your host.
Nonlin

Post by Nonlin »

I think fth0 has something. I looked at logs from my other computer were this all work fine and all there disk access times were in the micro seconds.

So its going to take quite a bit of time to try some options out.

I want to thank you all for all you have dun so far. And when I make some progress on this, I will let you know.

nonlin