VirtualBOx can not mount ISO images from network mounted drives anymore

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
tbyte
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: FreeBSD, Linux, Windows

VirtualBOx can not mount ISO images from network mounted drives anymore

Post by tbyte »

When I try to mount an image from a network mounted drive on Windows I get this error and it was working before ! Is this a bug or should I fix something ? And Yes the file is there !
Version 6.1.34 r150636 (Qt5.6.2)
Failed to open the disk image file X:\ISO\systemrescue-9.03-amd64.iso.

Could not find file for the medium 'X:\ISO\systemrescue-9.03-amd64.iso' (VERR_PATH_NOT_FOUND).

Result Code: VBOX_E_FILE_ERROR (0x80BB0004)
Component: MediumWrap
Interface: IMedium {ad47ad09-787b-44ab-b343-a082a3f2dfb1}
Callee: IVirtualBox {d0a0163f-e254-4e5b-a1f2-011cf991c38d}
Callee RC: VBOX_E_OBJECT_NOT_FOUND (0x80BB0001)
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Re: VirtualBOx can not mount ISO images from network mounted drives anymore

Post by scottgus1 »

tbyte wrote: a network mounted drive ... And Yes the file is there !
Try accessing the file via \\server\share\ instead of X:\
I wonder if the present account doesn't have the X: mount, or if you're running Virtualbox as admin? Either would interfere with finding the file.
tbyte

Post by tbyte »

scottgus1 wrote:
tbyte wrote: a network mounted drive ... And Yes the file is there !
Try accessing the file via \\server\share\ instead of X:\
I wonder if the present account doesn't have the X: mount, or if you're running Virtualbox as admin? Either would interfere with finding the file.
I have no idea why BUT the moment I added the ISO via \\server\share\ and all other ISO files became available in the Virtual Media Manager ! All other ISO files before that they were marked with :!: .
Thank you very much ! :D
Rootman

Post by Rootman »

Is there a possibility that the current running Windows credentials and the credentials that VBox is running are different? If so then this is the reason, the drive is mapped as, say, user FRED who is logged into Windows, but VBox is running under different credentials, say MARTHA - which does not have this drive mapped because it is not currently running.

I run into this now and then, especially when trying to run an executable from a network share as a different user than the logged in one. I have to do this when installing software for NON admin users in my company for instance.
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Post by scottgus1 »

Running as Admin will also cause this, it's a Windows thing. Under Admin privileges, the 'account' is actually different, which sets up the results Rootman discussed: Mapped shared folders aren't mapped in the new 'account'.

I run into this when starting Virtualbox as Admin to change the Extension Pack. Under Admin, Virtualbox cannot see my Downloads folder.
tbyte

Post by tbyte »

Rootman wrote:Is there a possibility that the current running Windows credentials and the credentials that VBox is running are different? If so then this is the reason, the drive is mapped as, say, user FRED who is logged into Windows, but VBox is running under different credentials, say MARTHA - which does not have this drive mapped because it is not currently running.

I run into this now and then, especially when trying to run an executable from a network share as a different user than the logged in one. I have to do this when installing software for NON admin users in my company for instance.
The account is an admin but I think scottgus1 is right. Windows sometimes do weird things with the mounted drives after reboot but I've seen Explorer and Total Commander somehow trigger that "remounting" (or whatever happens) that happened after I used \\server\share\ to add another ISO image.