[Solved] No access to USB drives

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
LuisVP

[Solved] No access to USB drives

Post by LuisVP »

Good afternoon I created a virtual machine with windows 8 on Windows 10 and although in the USB configurations I add for example a USB drive does not appear, in the device manager it indicates that it could not be started and that "an invalid parameter has been passed to a service or function".

[img]c:\\usuarios\vp\imagenes\Cont%20usb.png[/img]
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Re: No access to USB drives

Post by mpack »

Probably you forgot to install the host extension pack, which adds the USB2/USB3 functionality.

Please provide a VM log file. Make sure the VM is fully shut down, then right click it in the manager UI. Select "Show Log" and save "VBox.log" (no other file) to a zip file. Attach the zip here.

It's usually easier to access any host drive as a share. I.e. it works for USB drives like any other, even removable drives. And unlike assigning USB ownership, sharing works for both host and multiple guests at the same time.

Note that img tags have been disabled in these forums, but even if they worked they could not reference a local file path on your PC.
LuisVP

Post by LuisVP »

Hello, good afternoon. Thanks for the help, I have not installed the extension pack, and when I installed it I could already see the USB devices.
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Post by scottgus1 »

Carefully go through USB basics and troubleshooting. If you finish all the steps 1-7 and cannot get your USB device into the guest OS, carefully post the outputs of the commands in step 8 as text, not screenshots. Zip and post the logs step 8 call for, using the forum's Upload Attachment tab.
mpack
Site Moderator
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

Hi LuisVP, thanks for reporting back. I take it that means the problem is solved - I'll mark the topic appropriately.
LuisVP

Post by LuisVP »

mpack wrote:Hi LuisVP, thanks for reporting back. I take it that means the problem is solved - I'll mark the topic appropriately.
Gracias.