Kernel panic in Win11

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
dean_o

Kernel panic in Win11

Post by dean_o »

I encountered the same kernel panic error code when trying to start a VM for a 32 bit linux system off of a .iso file, pasted below. My host OS is windows 11. Attached is the log from the VM. I already downloaded and installed the service pack and tried adding CPUs to the VM. I encounter a different error when I have more than one CPU, also pasted below. I've attached that log, saved as ..2cpus. Please advise on path forward to establish VM.
Attachments
screen_shots.zip
screen shots of error codes
(25.26 KiB) Downloaded 15 times
AoE_four-2cpu.zip
log file with 2 cpus
(28.46 KiB) Downloaded 5 times
AoE_four-1cpu.zip
log file with one cpu
(26.75 KiB) Downloaded 4 times
multiOS
Volunteer
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: WIN11,10, 7, Linux (various)

Re: Kernel panic in Win11

Post by multiOS »

The logs contain:

Code: Select all

00:00:02.506348 ********************* End of CFGM dump **********************
00:00:02.506631 HM: HMR3Init: Attempting fall back to NEM: VT-x is not available
00:00:02.560633 NEM:  info: Found optional import WinHvPlatform.dll!WHvQueryGpaRangeDirtyBitmap.
00:00:02.560687 NEM: WHvCapabilityCodeHypervisorPresent is TRUE, so this might work...
Which means Hyper-V is active and this prevents VirtualBox version 3.1.34 from working effectively.

See viewtopic.php?f=25&t=99390 for further guidance. Please try the recommendations and let us know if there is still a problem.

The developers have been working on this issue for a considerable time and there may be a fix in Version 6.1.36 (on release) which will allow Hyper-V and VirtualBox to co-exist.
dean_o

Post by dean_o »

I disabled the Hyper-V from the control panel, and also ensured it was disabled via the command prompt. I kept getting the kernel panic error until I disabled Windows Defender's Core Isolation for windows 11. That process was keeping Hyper-V active, and interfering with the VirtualBox, and I saw it in the logs. Once I disabled that process, the VM worked!

Thanks for your assistance in trouble shooting the error with the VM!
multiOS
Volunteer
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: WIN11,10, 7, Linux (various)

Post by multiOS »

Great, glad you were able to hunt down the 'extras'.