How to change the password of an encrypted vm?

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
dogeatgod

How to change the password of an encrypted vm?

Post by dogeatgod »

Hello fellows,

I run a vm with Virtualbox on a Windows 10 system. I encrypted the vm and now want to change the password for the encryption.
I could find nothing about this topic via Google nor forum search. I run the latest version of Virtualbox and the extension pack.
I am a simple layman and am sorry in advance.

thank you for your help.

Host system: Windows 10
Virtualbox version: latest
Problem: Change password of the encryption of the vm
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Re: How to change the password of an encrypted vm?

Post by mpack »

The password was originally set in <VM settings>|General|Disk Encryption. The password can be changed using the same dialog.

You will of course need to know the old password in order to proceed, since being free to change the password to something you know and the original owner maybe doesn't would be a bit of a security lapse.

And just to be clear, I assume you know that this is not really the password of the encryption. The data encryption key (DEK) is a long random number generated by the host OS and can't be changed. The password you enter is used to hide and protect the DEK stored in the .vbox file, the password does not encode the disk directly.
dogeatgod

Post by dogeatgod »

mpack wrote:The password was originally set in <VM settings>|General|Disk Encryption. The password can be changed using the same dialog.

You will of course need to know the old password in order to proceed, since being free to change the password to something you know and the original owner maybe doesn't would be a bit of a security lapse.

And just to be clear, I assume you know that this is not really the password of the encryption. The data encryption key (DEK) is a long random number generated by the host OS and can't be changed. The password you enter is used to hide and protect the DEK stored in the .vbox file, the password does not encode the disk directly.
Thank you for your answer.
I did not know about the DEK before I engaged in the Google search to know how to change the password.
Now I know :-)

I hope you have a nice sunday.
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

Sometimes we get questions along these lines because the owner has lost the .vbox file that goes with the encrypted disk, therefore ensuring that the DEK is lost and the data can never be recovered - but the questioner doesn't know this. It is therefore vitally important to understand that the .vbox file must be preserved along with the disk.