VM Stopped working Headless

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
AndyB216

VM Stopped working Headless

Post by AndyB216 »

I have a simple Ubuntu VM that I start headlessly and then just SSH into when I need it.

This had been working fine until a couple of months back. I've tried to figure out what changed, but to be honest, it wasn't a simple / obvious change and I was otherwise occupied and didn't really try to dig into this for a while. I'd still like to fix this though, so this morning I started reading into things. I don't have Hyper-V installed, which seems to be the big one. I tried giving the VM more resources, but none of this really seemed to change things.

Code: Select all

Failed to open a session for the virtual machine VM.

The virtual machine 'VM' has terminated unexpectedly during startup with exit code -1073741819 (0xc0000005).

Result Code: E_FAIL (0x80004005)
Component: MachineWrap
Interface: IMachine {85632c68-b5bb-4316-a900-5eb28d3413df}
Attachments
No_Headless_Logs.zip
Error message and Logs.
(59.74 KiB) Downloaded 6 times
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Re: VM Stopped working Headless

Post by scottgus1 »

Strangely, neither the hardening log nor the VM log show the error in the error.txt or the posted message. Are you sure that you got the correct logs?

Another possibility, maybe the VM errored out before the VM hardware started.

Next time this happens, in addition to the logs, please also zip and post the "C:\Users\{accountname}\.Virtualbox" folder (note the period in the folder name).
fth0
Volunteer
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Linux, Windows 10, ...

Re: VM Stopped working Headless

Post by fth0 »

FWIW, SentinelOne is known to have caused problems in VirtualBox. For example, see viewtopic.php?f=6&t=104692#p510418.