VirtualBox slow as a 286

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
NoNameNeeded

VirtualBox slow as a 286

Post by NoNameNeeded »

I've installed Windows 10 on VirtualBox.

It is as slow as running Windows 98 on a 286.
Or like Windows 10 on a 286.

If it's just some default settings that need to be changed, then why aren't they changed automatically when the user chooses to install Windows 10 (the wizard asks you which OS you're trying to install)?

If that's just the way it is, VirtualBox is just useless.

I'll attach all the log files:
vboxlog.zip
(156.11 KiB) Downloaded 15 times
AndyCot

Re: VirtualBox slow as a 286

Post by AndyCot »

You are aware that you are using superseded versions of VirtualBox and Windows?

Good luck with your old setup.
NoNameNeeded

Post by NoNameNeeded »

I was told that version 6.1 (the most recent one) comes without 3D acceleration for XP (guest) because it was so screwed up, they decided they had to remove it.
Since I want to use 3D acceleration on a XP guest, I have to use version 6.0

(3D acceleration is definitely screwed up on Windows 10 however (guest) but I don't really care about that)

The windows host is still supported.

The computer isn't even two years old, it should easily handle Windows 10 in a virtual machine.
NoNameNeeded

Post by NoNameNeeded »

Just as additional info:
I've tried Hyper-V acceleration but it didn't do any good.
It's just as slow as the default setting.

(but I'm not sure if Hyper-V acceleration would even work without me installing some additional stuff on the host OS)
fth0
Volunteer
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Linux, Windows 10, ...

Post by fth0 »

For a test, uninstall ShellFolderFix and Classic Shell, reboot the host and see if the issue persists. Provide a (zipped) VBoxHardening.log file from that run.
NoNameNeeded

Post by NoNameNeeded »

It's a productive machine.
I can't just uninstall stuff.

But apart from that: Assuming that these applications would really cause the problem, they really shouldn't.
Why would or should VirtualBox be bothered by applications that have nothing to do with it?

Also, the virtual XP machine runs just fine.
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Post by scottgus1 »

Running 6.0 to get 3D on XP is OK. I'm still running 6.0.14 on my production 10 host because it works well.

If I read the hardening lines in the log correctly, the dlls in question got rejected from the Virtualbox environment, which was able to keep on running. I may be wrong, though... However, fth0 knows his stuff, and trying to uninstall these if possible, perhaps by cloning the host disk to a separate drive, then booting the host over the weekend to the temporary drive, then experimenting. They may be interfering more than Virtualbox is expecting. Bugs happen... :D

However, Windows 10 is pinched a bit on 2GB RAM. If you start the 10 VM right after booting the host, before starting other memory-hungry apps, you might give 10 more RAM. Even 3GB might give 10 breathing space, and 4GB would be the cat's meow. The host having only 8GB is a situation to consider.

You have 2 processors in the VM, which is optimum for 10.

Additionally, 10 actually does run better when 3D acceleration is enabled, but you have to disable transparency in the 10 OS to get around the bad results that happen first. See Settings > Personalization > Colors > Transparency Effects in your Windows 10 VM. Unactivated Windows 10 has the same setting here:
Ease of Access > Display > Simplify and personalize Windows > Show transparency in Windows.

To enable 3D acceleration, after disabling 10's transparency, shut down (not save-state) the VM, then set the video card to VboxSVGA (note the S), then enable 3D, then reinstall GAs with the 3D enabled (if there's a choice).

Last thing, logs from a save-stated VM don't have all the diagnostic data. Try to shut down the VM completely from within the VM's OS before starting the VM to do a run for the log.
fth0
Volunteer
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: Linux, Windows 10, ...

Post by fth0 »

NoNameNeeded wrote:Assuming that these applications would really cause the problem, ...
I don't know if these applications really cause the problem, that's why I suggested to uninstall them only "for a test".
NoNameNeeded wrote:... they really shouldn't.
Why would or should VirtualBox be bothered by applications that have nothing to do with it?
Well, they invade the address space of the VirtualBoxVM process, which makes them a problem for a security-aware software like VirtualBox. Additionally, they have no valid Authenticode signatures, making them untrustworthy software. In consequence, VirtualBox purges them from its address space, and they may not expect that to happen, possibly leading to all sort of consequences.
NoNameNeeded

Post by NoNameNeeded »

Well, they invade the address space of the VirtualBoxVM process, which makes them a problem for a security-aware software like VirtualBox. Additionally, they have no valid Authenticode signatures, making them untrustworthy software. In consequence, VirtualBox purges them from its address space, and they may not expect that to happen, possibly leading to all sort of consequences.
Well, then the virtualBox devs should consider programming a software that runs fine even if other applications are installed on the computer, because this is perfectly normal and usually the case on computers.
The GA have now been installing for 30 minutes or so, but it's not only the guest OS that runs extremely slow, VBox even slows the host computer down drastically, even though the CPU load and RAM usage are low.
I don't know how the devs have managed to even accomplish such a thing but they have.
Congrats.

But for me VBox is just too bad a software to use.

(Even if uninstalling shellfolderfix and classic shell would help, that wouldn't be an option. If I wanted someone else to decide which software to use I'd buy a Mac.)
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Post by scottgus1 »

Other suggestions have been given. Please try them.
NoNameNeeded

Post by NoNameNeeded »

Thx for your suggestions but unfortunately turning 3D on made it even slower.

I've also just tried to use more RAM (3.5GB) but that doesn't really change much in terms of performance. The RAM percentage is lower in the virtual machine (which was to be expected) but in terms of performance, no real change.
On VMWare I have a Win10 virtual machine (32Bit in this case) with only 1,5GB RAM and it's about 3 to 4 times faster (only a guess, I didn't really take the time) than VBox.
But for some strange reason it won't let me install a 64Bit version, that's why I tried VBox.
AndyCot

Post by AndyCot »

Sounds like this thread all over again:
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=106268&p=519223#p519223
NoNameNeeded

Post by NoNameNeeded »

If you mean that VBox behaves like a Diva that won't perform if the wrong people are in the audience then yes, maybe it sounds like the other thread.
AndyCot

Post by AndyCot »

No, I mean you are using a hacked shell again and like the other thread you are chucking a tantrum again that it's not your problem.

Chucking a tantrum does not help and causes people to give up on trying to help. You will need good luck with resolving your setup issues.
NoNameNeeded

Post by NoNameNeeded »

People install software on their computers.
That's perfectly normal and something that the VBox devs should have taken into consideration.

If VBox doesn't work correctly just because other software is installed on this PC, it's a problem that the VBox devs should solve.

And no, neither classic shell nor shellfolderfix is "untrustworthy" software.

I also didn't hack my system files this time (I did replace some icons in the shell32.dll which caused a problem in the other thread. A problem that shouldn't have occurred in the first place, but I can live with the vanilla shell32.dll). Shellfolderfix doesn't touch any system files.