[Solved] Virtual Box still crashing "occasionally" no rhyme or reason

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
Oracle VM User

[Solved] Virtual Box still crashing "occasionally" no rhyme or reason

Post by Oracle VM User »

Hi everyone!

Here is the Info and minimum requirements as requested: [Thank you again for informative instructions, since I don't do this every day]

Host & Guest make and version including 32 or 64 bit, and the amount of memory available to both.

Host: Windows 10 Version 21H2 x64 8 GB RAM

Guest: Windows 7 x32 I can't get in, to copy this off, sorry, I assume some part of 8GB RAM, at least 2GB accessed-- whatever you recommended when I set it up is my 4+ year old memory says to me....

Problem?

Its become more complicated, but easier to write now that I know how to post here properly.

Attached my zip of the log hardened file correctly to this post.

Again to remind everyone, I'm using x64 Windows 10 Host that is using Windows 7 x32 Client.

Occasionally, without warning, tried using "less" web pages, "more" items turned off in Anti-virus etc, nothing consistently works as a work around to not bother asking about my particular problem.

"Maybe its...........me?"

I got one error message, but ignoring it for now not the main problem, if you don't see it in the log I'll post it in a reply....happened a while ago, still crashing upon "starting virtual machine"

I was FORCED to install the latest Windows update:
"2022-06 Cumulative Update for Windows 10 Version 21H21 for x64-based systems (KB5014699)"
as a side effect of the crashes is that even though I have the updates on "pause" because they always bring problems to many of my older programs
so when Virtual Box crashed, the computer said "YAY!" "You turned me off, so now, even though you paused the updates I'm going to install every one of them without you creating your own restore point in advance!" [My quotes, computer is not AI, did not say that to me, but in its actions...did that].

Anyway, that is a side effect of the frequent crashes of Virtual Box, is these unintended installations of updates (especially love the ones that say once you "install" this you can't remove it, so when it crashes my programs like Virtual Box, I can't undo it and roll it back to where it works again : ( ).

For reference my prior recent post was:
Update 6.1.34 crashing Windows 10 Host upon attempted start of Windows 7 Client
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=106171

Thank you for reading this!

Oracle VM User
Attachments
Windows7 32bit VM-2022-06-18-20-45-25 zipped.zip
Hardened log file
(25.11 KiB) Downloaded 10 times
Windows7 32bit VM-2022-06-18-20-45-38 zipped.zip
Log file
(7.75 KiB) Downloaded 8 times
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Re: Virtual Box still crashing "occasionally" no rhyme or reason---since fixed non-start due to new

Post by mpack »

Over-commitment of host RAM will not be helping, nor the under-allocation of CPU cores. Giving a 32bit consumer Windows VM access to >4GB RAM is entirely pointless since 4GB is the most it can ever use. The graphics RAM is undersized at a weedy 18MB.
00:00:08.022187 Host RAM: 7862MB (7.6GB) total, 4312MB (4.2GB) available
00:00:08.583908 RamSize <integer> = 0x0000000137800000 (5 226 102 784, 4 984 MB, 4.8 GB)
I suggest that you reduce VM RAM to 2048MB. Increase CPU cores to 2. Increase graphics RAM to 128MB.

And p.s. Please in future make sure that the VM is fully closed down before you grab any logs.
Oracle VM User

Re: Virtual Box still crashing "occasionally" no rhyme or reason---since fixed non-start due to new

Post by Oracle VM User »

Hi mpack!

Thank you for your suggestions!

It's been "a while" but I managed to find the items to change under settings and move to your suggested values:
I suggest that you reduce VM RAM to 2048MB. Increase CPU cores to 2. Increase graphics RAM to 128MB.
Further problem? My noticeable static on my attached audio devices on USB has "returned" when I do these settings. It degrades the quality of the audio and will impact the whole (single) reason I must use Windows 7, for its older USB audio devices that no modern substitute exits.

Is raising the RAM after reducing to 2048 helpful? What else can I try to fix this problem?

Two "new"? or further questions....

I must have done something "wrong" in saving the logs from clicking on the blue panel of the VM description on the left side of the VM Virtual Box Manager page.

There were no VM's running but for the "Manager" page, should that be closed? But then how do I left click on the name of the VM to obtain the logs?

I might have done it another way in my earlier post, and forgotten how to get it that way.

for mpack specifically: {of course if the Forum rules say only "one" subject per thread, and I should MOVE this thread and re-post it under XP OS division or wherever you want I'll certainly re-write it so everyone knows what I'm asking and why}

I see from your description of guest OS's that you do mostly XP's

So I thought..........well.....whatever changed the number of CPUs or other things on my Windows 7 when I deleted my OLD Virtual box last month, [i.e. May 30 & 31st in my prior post thread] and changed these as I don't recall NOT using 2 cores if I had it I divided it evenly if I could between Host/Guest OS's when I set it up years ago 2012(?)

Anyway..... I went to view my XP settings and sure enough! They say similar items like just using ONE CPU, etc.

More to the point, I see from a 2019 note that there was no "extension" available anymore (?) for XP so I can't use my USB connection which is the 100% whole purpose of these extra OS's

Even more to the point, I tried to start up the XP (despite that limitation) and discovered that I get the Error message on DOS screen:

"FATAL: No bootable medium found!"

Oh oh, might have MORE problems than any one post can handle, if so tell me and I'll abandon trying to get XP working on here....

Thank you for reading this and being there to help all of us users with your prior assistance!

Oracle VM User
Attachments
XP Professional on VirtualBox Oracle-2022-06-19-09-05-41 Hardening Log zipped.zip
Maybe hardened log is not necessary for a Guest OS XP? I gave it anyway.
(26.09 KiB) Downloaded 6 times
XP Professional on VirtualBox Oracle-2022-06-19-09-05-40.log
(114.46 KiB) Downloaded 8 times
Oracle VM User

Post by Oracle VM User »

A follow up to my prior message:

My purpose in getting Oracle VM program running perfectly was that its time for a major backup of Host Windows 10 system,
and I didn't want to do it twice--once with a malfunctioning Oracle and once a week or so later, with a better functioning VM for my Windows 7 Guest.

I guess that three-day holiday weekend went by to do this process. No worries here, its still on my "to do list".

Just adding in to the thread, that due to the static on my audio devices with the "new" settings, I'm not doing anything either with Windows 7 until I hear my audio devices clear again, as I have no possible way (old software, will not run on anything else) to confirm that the original audio is really clear and not full of static interference.

So on that note, I thought I'd just bump this up a notch to see if anyone knows why that item is happening with my VM Windows 7 now that I'm running on the new settings.

Thank you everyone who reads this!
Oracle VM User
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Post by scottgus1 »

Please try to be more concise in your posts. It is difficult to determine what the problem is that you're facing when you type a large amount of talkative text.

The XP log shows VM 'hardware' that works well. But there is no bootable OS available in any of the VM drives. The VM is set to XP 64-bit, which was a very rare OS. It is far more likely, unless your OS is one of the rare ones, that you have XP 32-bit.

The first post above was about a Windows 7 VM.

I still cannot determine the problem you're facing. Please explain in two sentences or less what the issue is.
mpack
Site Moderator

Post by mpack »

The OP pm'd me that his original problem in this topic was fixed by my first reply, and after that he was posting about an additional problem - hence the confusing mission creep. I have asked him to start new topics for additional problems.
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Post by scottgus1 »

Ah, that's good. Thanks!
Oracle VM User

Post by Oracle VM User »

Yes! Thank you both mpack and scottgus1 for your replies!

I realize my problem had "mission creep" and will divide it into two parts so I can clearly request in short sentences what is going on.

I will attach current logs to make it up to date!

Again, thank you so much for reading it and telling me this is how you prefer it to be done, I'm quite willing to make my requests more direct.

Oracle VM User
Oracle VM User

Post by Oracle VM User »

Hi everyone!

Notation here (unless there is a "mark topic solved button for me to press") that the second posting, the one from mpack SOLVED the problem. I got back my use of Windows 7 Guest Client under my Windows 10 Host again!! :D

Thank you everyone who read and thought about this to help resolve it!

Have a great day!

Oracle VM User
mpack
Site Moderator

Post by mpack »

Thanks for reporting back.