32-bit guests not working in my 64-bit Windows host

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
lornio

32-bit guests not working in my 64-bit Windows host

Post by lornio »

Hello everyone,
I apologise in advance if this is a redundant topic, but I did not find the one that helps in my case.

I'm experiencing a bit of an issue, as suggested by this topic subject.
I would like VirtualBox to run a 32-bit CentOS7 image (32-bit because my CPU unfortunately does not support virtualisation). I already launched 32-bit images in the past using VirtualBox and did not experience any trouble.
However, now I keep getting the following error:
Not in a hypervisor partition (HVP=0) (VERR_NEM_NOT_AVAILABLE).
AMD-V is disabled in the BIOS (or by the host OS) (VERR_SVM_DISABLED).
Obviously, I cannot enable the virtualisation as the error suggest, for the reason stated before - in UEFI, this option just does not exist.

I honestly have no idea how to fix this. I did make myself sure I was actually trying to launch a 32-bit image.
The VirtualBox version I have is the 6.1.34a (I noticed I have the same issue with other 32-bit OS images).
I also tried with 5.2.44.139111-Win (here, I had the same results for CentOS7, but other 32-bit OS images were properly launched).
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Re: 32-bit guests not working in my 64-bit Windows host

Post by mpack »

See FAQ: I have a 64bit host, but can't install 64bit guests.

In VirtualBox 6.1.x, 32bit guests have the same requirements as 64bit guests. Both require VT-x/AMD-v.

And according to the error message, your CPU does support virtualization (AMD-v a.k.a. SVM), it is just disabled currently. There's no way that a PC modern enough to support UEFI is too old to support hardware virtualization.
lornio

Post by lornio »

I called it UEFI because that is how my device refers to it, but it looks more like normal/ancient BIOS. I checked again if there was something remotely related to virtualisation, but once again I did not found anything.
So I assume that what I have may work only in older versions of VirtualBox, but I don't undestand why the 32-bit CentOS image does not work, while other 32-bit OS images actually work.
multiOS
Volunteer
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: WIN11,10, 7, Linux (various)

Post by multiOS »

If you continue to use 'older' and unsupported versions of VirtualBox, they will obviously fail at some point, as they no longer receive updates to continue working with newer versions of Host/Guest Operating Systems that have updated requirements.

If you can't locate the relevant Virtualisation settings in your UEFI/BIOS, which do vary between hardware manufacturers, then you need to contact your device/motherboard provider or find an authoritative online guide to your specific hardware for help.