Application Error

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
gvvice

Application Error

Post by gvvice »

Just keep getting this error.
After the host network disconnected and reconnected again(with shared folders), then wait a little bit later, it will always there.
I installed Windows 10 home edition on my windows host's VirtualBox.
Attachments
VBox.log
(380 Bytes) Downloaded 7 times
img.png
img.png (9.3 KiB) Viewed 2852 times
VBoxHardening.log
(1.66 KiB) Downloaded 8 times
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Re: Application Error

Post by scottgus1 »

The posted logs are broken and incomplete.

Start the VM from full normal shutdown, not save-state. Run until you see the problem happen, then shut down the VM from within the VM's OS if possible. If not possible, close the Virtualbox window for the VM with the Power Off option set.

Right-click the VM in the main Virtualbox window's VM list, choose Show Log. Save the far left tab's log, zip it, and post the zip file, using the forum's Upload Attachment tab.
gvvice

Post by gvvice »

scottgus1 wrote:The posted logs are broken and incomplete.

Start the VM from full normal shutdown, not save-state. Run until you see the problem happen, then shut down the VM from within the VM's OS if possible. If not possible, close the Virtualbox window for the VM with the Power Off option set.

Right-click the VM in the main Virtualbox window's VM list, choose Show Log. Save the far left tab's log, zip it, and post the zip file, using the forum's Upload Attachment tab.
I just cleared log before it happened, other parts might not be related to this issue.
scottgus1
Site Moderator

Post by scottgus1 »

To reiterate:
gvvice

Post by gvvice »

Logs.zip
(46.34 KiB) Downloaded 6 times
scottgus1 wrote:To reiterate:
Just check new, I just reproduced this issue for clean logs, any time wifi router rebooted, it will happen.
Thanks!

Bug tracker created:
https://www.virtualbox.org/ticket/20983
scottgus1
Site Moderator

Post by scottgus1 »

We're not at the stage for a Bugtracker ticket yet. The VM was started from a saved state:
scottgus1 wrote:Start the VM from full normal shutdown, not save-state.
The hardening log shows "ExitCode=0xc0000005", which is discussed in Diagnosing VirtualBox Hardening Issues
gvvice

Post by gvvice »

scottgus1 wrote:We're not at the stage for a Bugtracker ticket yet. The VM was started from a saved state:
scottgus1 wrote:Start the VM from full normal shutdown, not save-state.
The hardening log shows "ExitCode=0xc0000005", which is discussed in Diagnosing VirtualBox Hardening Issues
How can I know exactly which bad DLL caused this?
It will only and always happen when WIFI router rebooted(I use RDP for connect to the host, host will run the vm machines)
scottgus1
Site Moderator

Post by scottgus1 »

You need to post logs following the instructions so we have a good base to work from. You still haven't provided logs from a full shutdown. And the tutorial made a couple of recommendations to try.
gvvice

Post by gvvice »

scottgus1 wrote:You need to post logs following the instructions so we have a good base to work from. You still haven't provided logs from a full shutdown. And the tutorial made a couple of recommendations to try.
Shutdown? it will just shutdown it self, and the logs contains this, I get the log after it exited.
The tutorial is not helpful, tried both, issue still comes.
scottgus1
Site Moderator

Post by scottgus1 »

gvvice wrote:Shutdown? it will just shutdown it self
the log wrote:00:00:03.538190 Console: Machine state changed to 'Restoring'
"Restoring" means the VM started from a saved state. This log does not contain all the diagnostic data we need to help.

If the VM's tile in the main Virtualbox window says "Saved" under the VM's name, then it is saved state. It should say "Powered Off", then the log from the next run will be complete. You can reset the VM to "Powered Off" by right-clicking the VM and choosing "Discard Saved State". Then start the VM: it will now start from full shutdown.

So we're not yet at the state yet where we can answer this question:
gvvice wrote:How can I know exactly which bad DLL caused this?
gvvice wrote:The tutorial is not helpful, tried both, issue still comes.
You'll need to be more explicit about what you tried or we will not be able to help.

So, to summarize, provide a log according to the instructions, then we'll see what can be done to help.
gvvice

Post by gvvice »

Logs.zip
(49.43 KiB) Downloaded 9 times
Last edited by scottgus1 on 16. Jun 2022, 17:32, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: removed quote of entire post
scottgus1
Site Moderator

Post by scottgus1 »

The VM log is once again either the wrong one or still taken while the VM window was open. It does not show the ending lines typical of a complete log.

Curiously, the incomplete log shows a running VM, not one that has crashed over hardening.

I'm drawing the line in the sand now. If the next log posted is not a complete log of the failing VM from beginning to end finishing with the lines:
Changing the VM state from 'DESTROYING' to 'TERMINATED'
Console: Machine state changed to 'PoweredOff'
Then I'm going to have to lock this topic to keep forum volunteers from wasting further time.
gvvice

Post by gvvice »

scottgus1 wrote:The VM log is once again either the wrong one or still taken while the VM window was open. It does not show the ending lines typical of a complete log.

Curiously, the incomplete log shows a running VM, not one that has crashed over hardening.

I'm drawing the line in the sand now. If the next log posted is not a complete log of the failing VM from beginning to end finishing with the lines:
Changing the VM state from 'DESTROYING' to 'TERMINATED'
Console: Machine state changed to 'PoweredOff'
Then I'm going to have to lock this topic to keep forum volunteers from wasting further time.
I already told you that, It will not have the end line, it will kill itself and give the error dialog!!!
You can just check by yourself to see if that VM exit with error will have such logs in log file.

And it might caused my RDP rather than WIFI, every time I lost the RDP connection on the host(which used to run the VMs), it will happen.

And what log you still want me to provide???
I boot this VM(not from a saved status), disconnect the RDP, then reconnect RDP, then host will just crash!!! Then I just collected and zipped log files.
Do you want me to reboot then shutdown it again, to get your "PoweredOff" status??? It will wipe the previous logs!!!

Do you really know what will happen after anyone who will get an application error and cause the VM crash? It will just generate this "incomplete log"!!!
Hope you can try this by yourself, for not wasting further time?
Last edited by gvvice on 3. Jul 2022, 17:25, edited 1 time in total.
scottgus1
Site Moderator

Post by scottgus1 »

gvvice wrote: it will kill itself and give the error dialog!!!
Is the error dialog still open when the log is taken? Doing so will prevent a full log. Error messages get recorded in the log if the window is closed before the log is taken. No error message window from Virtualbox will appear if the VM truly crashes off abruptly with a truly unexpected failure.

I know you're frustrated by my line in the sand, but following these instructions is not rocket science and tremendous numbers of others have done it correctly.

One way to get a complete log is to reboot the host after closing all Virtualbox VMs and error windows, then copying the far left log after the host reboots. This isn't normally necessary, but there is a disconnect here somewhere, and the normal processes aren't getting understood.
gvvice

Post by gvvice »

scottgus1 wrote:
gvvice wrote: Is the error dialog still open when the log is taken?
I collect the logs after dialog been closed.