Performance Impact

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
SeriousHoax

Performance Impact

Post by SeriousHoax »

Hi! I wanted to know about the performance impact of VirtualBox on a Windows host.
Not so long ago I tried Hyper-V on my Windows 11 system and I noticed that after enabling Hyper-V I had some stutter and slightly lower FPS in games like God of War and Sherlock Holmes. This stutter happened even though no VM was running in the background. So simply enabling Hyper-V had an effect on performance on my device.
I didn't need VM for a while, so I disabled Hyper-V and the performance issue was gone. Now I need a VM again, and I have already deleted those two games, so currently don't have those games anymore to test performance.
So I just wanted to know if VirtualBox can also have similar performance impact even when VirtualBox is not running in the background? Does simply installing VirtualBox or any other VM means that there will be some performance impact?
Can you please tell me about it?
My system:
Windows 11 Pro
AMD Ryzen 3400G, 16GB ram.
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Re: Performance Impact

Post by scottgus1 »

Hyper-V runs between the host OS and the physical hardware, so a hint of slowdown might happen.

Virtualbox runs on top of the host OS, so it only uses computer power if it is running. No slowdowns if Virtualbox VMs are not running.
SeriousHoax

Re: Performance Impact

Post by SeriousHoax »

scottgus1 wrote:Hyper-V runs between the host OS and the physical hardware, so a hint of slowdown might happen.

Virtualbox runs on top of the host OS, so it only uses computer power if it is running. No slowdowns if Virtualbox VMs are not running.
That makes sense. Thanks a lot.