VirtualBox 6.1.34 installation hang on Win11 (fix is use 6.1.32)

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
jermch

VirtualBox 6.1.34 installation hang on Win11 (fix is use 6.1.32)

Post by jermch »

I am a longtime user of VirtualBox. I recently purchase a new Lenovo Thinkpad T14 (Rizen) laptop running Windows11. VirtualBox is one of the applications I install on pretty much every system I own at home and at work. I downloaded 6.1.34 and ran the installer and it hangs and unable to close the installer. Had to use task manager to kill the process. rebooted and tried again same results and again had to use Task manager to kill process. When I looked at Programs and Features it appeared to be installed, but attempt to launch resulted in same hung state. uninstalled / reinstalled same hang occurred. Uninstalled and then downloaded 6.1.32 and everything is working perfectly any ideas or should I just skip 6.1.34 and wait for the next version to retry ?
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Re: VirtualBox 6.1.34 installation hang on Win11 (fix is use 6.1.32)

Post by mpack »

VirtualBox doesn't have a Windows installer, i.e. the installer is Windows itself (or MSI, the MicroSoft Installer component). All VirtualBox provides is a script that tells Windows what goes where.

So basically I'm saying that this doesn't make any sense to me.
heymanj

Post by heymanj »

I recently did a Microsoft upgrade of my Windows 10 Lenovo laptop to Windows 11.
I had Virtual Box 6.1.34 running on Windows 10, and it continued to run just fine under Windows 11.
I uninstalled it, installed 6.1.32 to check a problem I'm seeing with FreeBSD. That didn't solve the FreeBSD issue.
I uninstalled 6.1.32 and successfully re-installed 6.1.34. No issues.
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Post by scottgus1 »

6.1.34 does install correctly, if the host PC doesn't have troubles. Microsoft's MSI installer system can have troubles which can prevent programs like Virtualbox which use MSI from installing or uninstalling successfully.

Google for how to enable MSI logging, then try the installation again. If it fails, please post the log as a zip file using the forum's Upload Attachment tab.

Basic troubleshooting steps for Windows Installer
Enable Windows Installer logging
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-US/troubl ... er-logging