MITSUMI USB UFDD 061M (FLOPPY DRIVE) not acessible

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
eggpap

MITSUMI USB UFDD 061M (FLOPPY DRIVE) not acessible

Post by eggpap »

Cattura.JPG
Cattura.JPG (37.61 KiB) Viewed 625 times
Hello,

I have a FreeDos 1.3 VM installed on W10PRO and the filter MITSUMI selected on
the USB device box as viewable in the picture here attached. However at the
FreeDos prompt I don't know which unit letter to use to access to the USB floppy
device.
The floppy is correctly accessible from the W10 file manager.

Thanks, Emiliano
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Re: MITSUMI USB UFDD 061M (FLOPPY DRIVE) not acessible

Post by mpack »

Why does the VM need to own this drive?

I do not know the extent of FreeDOS support for USB (though I believe it has no such support), OTOH FreeDOS does have networking support so I would expect the drive to be easy to access as a network share.

Just FYI, even Windows did not have native support for USB mass storage devices until the XP era. Or maybe it was actually the Win2K era, which I never used. Basically no DOS based OS ever had it.
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Re: MITSUMI USB UFDD 061M (FLOPPY DRIVE) not acessible

Post by scottgus1 »

In addition o Mpack's thoughts above, note these too:
eggpap wrote:at the FreeDos prompt I don't know which unit letter to use to access to the USB floppy
That would be a configuration issue within FreeDos, to be fixed by perusing FreeDos's help channels. FreeDos will take the hardware it sees and pick designations for the hardware per your or automatic setup instructions.

But to see if the drive is successfully making it into FreeDos, let's look at a log:

Start the VM from full normal shutdown, not save-state. Run until you see the problem happen, then shut down the VM from within the VM's OS if possible. If not possible, close the Virtualbox window for the VM with the Power Off option set.

Right-click the VM in the main Virtualbox window's VM list, choose Show Log. Save the far left tab's log, zip it, and post the zip file, using the forum's Upload Attachment tab.