Virtual box won't load after shutdown

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
Rid

Virtual box won't load after shutdown

Post by Rid »

Hi
I was wondering if anyone could help, as I had my windows 10 computer running virtual box to run my old vista set up, and I went for dinner and came back to find that the whole system must have shut off and rebooted, but then when I went to re-load virtual box and start the vista set up, the virtual box through up a critical error message and won't load it up.

Some help would be greatly appreciated to get it going again

I can't attach log for some reason. I can send these across or anyone let me know how to upload (only just become a member so maybe there is a time delay fro uploading files?)
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Re: Virtual box won't load after shutdown

Post by scottgus1 »

Zipped logs can be posted using the forum's Upload Attachment tab on the first day first post.

Start the VM from full normal shutdown, not save-state. Run until you see the problem happen, then shut down the VM from within the VM's OS if possible. If not possible, close the Virtualbox window for the VM with the Power Off option set.

Right-click the VM in the main Virtualbox window's VM list, choose Show Log. Save the far left tab's log, zip it, and post the zip file, using the forum's Upload Attachment tab.
Rid

Post by Rid »

I managed to shut down and restart my host computer, and then reloaded virtual box and my guest machine and it loaded up fine, then after about 10 hours of use, the critical error popped up and shutdown my guest machine on the virtual box, and then tried to restart it, but it just pops up with the critical error message

log now attached in zip

Help appreciated
Attachments
rRID VISTA PC 2-2022-05-13-18-22-24.zip
log
(72.09 KiB) Downloaded 6 times
scottgus1
Site Moderator

Post by scottgus1 »

Here's what the little guru meditated over:
00:00:09.778842 Console: Machine state changed to 'GuruMeditation'
00:00:09.778971 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
00:00:09.778972 !!
00:00:09.778972 !! VCPU0: Guru Meditation -2708 (VERR_VMM_SET_JMP_ABORTED_RESUME)
This cause for extended thought on the part of the little fellow is because of 3rd-party antivirus that has recently enabled use of hardware virtualization by the AV. Find that setting in the AV and disable it, and your Virtualbox will probably start running again.
Rid

Post by Rid »

thanks, on the host or guest machine?
scottgus1
Site Moderator

Post by scottgus1 »

On the host, please.