VM don't start

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
eggpap

VM don't start

Post by eggpap »

Hello,

I have installed virtualbox on my windows 10 pro platform,
but when I press Start, after a few seconds I get the following
Failed to open a session for the virtual machine FreeDOS.
Not in a hypervisor partition (HVP=0) (VERR_NEM_NOT_AVAILABLE).
VT-x is disabled in the BIOS for all CPU modes (VERR_VMX_MSR_ALL_VMX_DISABLED).
Result Code: E_FAIL (0x80004005)
Component: ConsoleWrap
Interface: IConsole {872da645-4a9b-1727-bee2-5585105b9eed}
vbox screenshot
vbox screenshot
Cattura.JPG (69.13 KiB) Viewed 1363 times
Many thanks for some help
Emiliano
BillG
Volunteer
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows 10,7 and earlier

Re: VM don't start

Post by BillG »

What do you not understand about the error message? It tells you that VT-x is disabled in the BIOS. VirtualBox 6.1 requires that to run.

If you do not know how to change that in the BIOS in your PC, search the Internet for how to do that for your computer make and model.

If you really can't enable it you will need to use a VirtualBox 6.0.x version not 6.1.x .
Bill
mpack
Site Moderator
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

See related FAQ: I have a 64bit host, but can't install 64bit guests. In 6.1.x this now applies to all guests, not just the 64bit ones.
eggpap

SOLVED Re: VM don't start

Post by eggpap »

mpack wrote:See related FAQ: I have a 64bit host, but can't install 64bit guests. In 6.1.x this now applies to all guests, not just the 64bit ones.
BillG wrote:What do you not understand about the error message? It tells you that VT-x is disabled in the BIOS. VirtualBox 6.1 requires that to run.
Thank you very much for your precious help.
ChuckPuckett

Post by ChuckPuckett »

I have encountered the same problem. Is the only workaround to male a change in the BIOS? That feels rather drastic, and likely to open my machine to potential danger.
It was suggested to use 6.0 instead. Does it not need this BIOS mod?
I am a first timer, bravely trying to provide a virtual machine upon which to run XCode and do a little iOS app development. VirtualBox looks like a great way to do that (I hope).
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Post by scottgus1 »

It's not a 'mod' or a drastic step per se. Enabling hardware virtualization in the BIOS that has it disabled now is only a manual step that puts the PC to capabilities that PCs have already had for ~15-ish years. So there's little if any, very likely no, security concerns to enabling VT-x/AMD-V/SVM.

6.0 and earlier do not require hardware virtualization, but you're limited to single-processor 32-bit VMs Windows 8.0 & earlier, probably some similar limitation in Linux. 6.1 requires hardware virtualization for all VM types.
ChuckPuckett wrote:do a little iOS app development.
You'll need a physical Intel-based Apple computer for your Virtualbox host to run Mac OS. See OSX guests on non-Apple hardware. I also don't think Virtualbox runs iOS, as that's not an x86 OS.