file called VirtualBox-6.1.30-r148432.msi not found

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
AztecBanana

file called VirtualBox-6.1.30-r148432.msi not found

Post by AztecBanana »

Hi guys! This is my first time installing Oracle VM VirtualBox 6.1.34 as is required for my operating systems class.
As I was installing the software a pop-up came and had this written on it

"The feature you are trying to use is on a network resource that is unavailable

Click OK to try again, or enter an alternate path to a folder
containing the installation package VirtualBox-6.1.30-r148432.msi in the box below."

I tried clicking OK and the same error appears. Can someone please help me resolve this? Thanks
Attachments
error popup while installing ORacle Vm VirtualBox 6.1.34
error popup while installing ORacle Vm VirtualBox 6.1.34
OracleVMtroubleshoot.JPG (26.85 KiB) Viewed 2181 times
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Re: file called VirtualBox-6.1.30-r148432.msi not found

Post by scottgus1 »

Find the MSI file:
Download the Windows Virtualbox version exe from https://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Download_Old_Builds
Make a temporary folder on you computer to hold the extracted files, like C:\VBOXMSI.
In a regular command prompt window, drag the downloaded exe file. The full path and file name of the exe will appear at the command prompt.
Type {space}--extract{space}--path{space}
Drag the temporary folder you made on the command window. The path and name of the folder will appear in the command window.
The command will look like this:

Code: Select all

drive:\path\to\VirtualBox-[versionnumber]-Win.exe --extract --path c:\VBOXMSI
The MSI will be in that temporary folder.

Note there's one annoying glitch with the MSI installer. A message box which does not have an accompanying icon in the taskbar will display the results of the last command. If you leave this message box open, further runs of commands with the .exe file will not do anything. You will have to find the message box and close it. And if you minimize all the windows with the Desktop Peek tool you may not be able to find it to close it.