Windows install - choosing components. "Local hard drive" vs. "entire feature on local hard drive?"

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
RobmOz

Windows install - choosing components. "Local hard drive" vs. "entire feature on local hard drive?"

Post by RobmOz »

Hi, when running the Windows installer I see the following installation options for the install components:
  • * Will be installed on local hard drive
    * Entire feature will be installed on local hard drive
    * Entire feature will be unavailable
e.g. for USB support I see these options [ * = options ]
  • VirtualBox Application
    • VirtualBox USB Support
      • * Will be installed on local hard drive
        * Entire feature will be installed on local hard drive
        * Entire feature will be unavailable
What is the difference between "Will be installed on local hard drive" and "Entire feature will be installed on local hard drive"?

I am thinking that maybe one of these is redundant? i.e. why not just have two options such as "install on local hard drive" and "don't install"?

This is after starting the installer

e.g. run setup ->
click next ->
dialog box is shown with heading "Custom setup - select features you want installed".

Thanks

versions: Oracle VirtualBox 6.1.34, Windows 10 Pro 21H2
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Re: Windows install - choosing components. "Local hard drive" vs. "entire feature on local hard driv

Post by scottgus1 »

The Virtualbox Windows installer is actually a Microsoft MSI installer program carrying the Virtualbox payload. As such these are actually Microsoft options, not Virtualbox options.

To the best of my knowledge, "Will be installed on local hard drive" and "Entire feature will be installed on local hard drive" don't carry any difference for the Virtualbox install. For installs of programs with larger option count in the installer, like MS Office for example, the "Entire Feature" option might turn on or off all sub-options under that option, whereas the not-"Entire Feature" option might only pick that one option but not all the sub-options that depend on the option.

Virtualbox's options are not all that interdependent, so the two choices don't in my eyes do anything different.

Since the installer is a Microsoft program you could research MS's discussions of MSI Installer options.
RobmOz

Re: Windows install - choosing components. "Local hard drive" vs. "entire feature on local hard driv

Post by RobmOz »

Thanks @scottgus1 for the reply. Yes I thought that the install options I was seeing may be reflecting some sort of Microsoft installer quirk. I did Win32 programming many moons ago and it rings a few bells — I think this behaviour may go back a long way?

Thanks also for directions on next steps if I want to investigate further. Great that Virtualbox is open source and I can have a look. :)