VM doesn't boot - VCPU0: Guru Meditation 1155 (VINF_EM_TRIPLE_FAULT)

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
Julie

VM doesn't boot - VCPU0: Guru Meditation 1155 (VINF_EM_TRIPLE_FAULT)

Post by Julie »

Hi everyone,

I powered off my Ubuntu VM yesterday, and I wanted to power it on today, but the boot crashes.
boot_error.PNG
boot_error.PNG (20.6 KiB) Viewed 2223 times
I made some research on google to find a solution but I cannot find any. Could someone help me to successfully boot my VM please?

Julie
Attachments
VBox.zip
(68.87 KiB) Downloaded 8 times
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Re: VM doesn't boot - VCPU0: Guru Meditation 1155 (VINF_EM_TRIPLE_FAULT)

Post by scottgus1 »

The guru meditates as soon as the hard disk is touched:
00:00:07.827387 VMMDev: Guest Log: BIOS: Booting from Hard Disk...
00:00:07.848520 Changing the VM state from 'RUNNING' to 'GURU_MEDITATION'
00:00:07.848535 Console: Machine state changed to 'GuruMeditation'
00:00:07.848627 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
00:00:07.848627 !!
00:00:07.848627 !! VCPU0: Guru Meditation 1155 (VINF_EM_TRIPLE_FAULT)
Julie wrote:I powered off my Ubuntu VM yesterday
Does this mean you hard-power-off'd it, Close box while the VM was still running? If so, modern OS's kinda don't like that. If you shut the VM down from within the VM's OS, then this result is unusual.

The log doesn't show the usual issues that we've been seeing in the forum.

Please put the Ubuntu install ISO in the VM's CD drive then boot the VM again. If the installer starts and is ready to re-install, then you can power off the VM. A running installer means that Virtualbox and the VM's hardware settings are working, and that the VM's disk has developed a problem, at which a restore from a backup would be in order. I'm not sure if these statistics means anything:
00:00:39.616504 /Devices/IDE0/ATA0/Unit0/ReadBytes 2048 bytes
00:00:39.619366 /Public/Storage/AHCI0/Port0/BytesRead 53760 bytes
00:00:39.619379 /Public/Storage/PIIX3IDE0/Port0/BytesRead 2048 bytes
but if they are indications of how much data got read from the VM's disk, then something got read but could not be interpreted properly.

One thing to fix eventually:
00:00:02.790445 3DEnabled <integer> = 0x0000000000000001 (1)
00:00:02.790450 VRamSize <integer> = 0x0000000001000000 (16 777 216, 16 MB)
Video RAM is way too low for 3D acceleration. Max that slider. This probably did not cause the guru to meditate, though.
Julie

Post by Julie »

Hi scottgus1,

Thank you for your reply.
I powered off my VM from the inside (on the top right button > Power off), and I waited that the window was closed by itself. So I think my case is unusual as you said.
scottgus1 wrote: put the Ubuntu install ISO in the VM's CD drive then boot the VM again
I did as you suggested, and the installer starts. I can recreate an image but I didn't do it. Then I shut down the VM, and I restarted again from virtualbox, but I have the same error (Guru Meditation). So I assume it is a hardware issue?
scottgus1 wrote:Video RAM is way too low for 3D acceleration. Max that slider.
I went into Settings>Display>Screen and slided 'Video Memory' cursor from 16MB to 64MB.

My Ubuntu VM size is 200GB and 195GB are already used, so I didn't backed up my machine (too heavy).

My VM was working just fine yesterday, so I really don't know why it stopped working. My colleague told me that maybe the VM was too heavy, but I'm not sure that the size could be a problem.

What should I do to restore my VM? Do you have any other idea?

Thanks again for your time,

Julie
scottgus1
Site Moderator

Post by scottgus1 »

Julie wrote:I did as you suggested, and the installer starts. I can recreate an image but I didn't do it. Then I shut down the VM, and I restarted again from virtualbox, but I have the same error (Guru Meditation). So I assume it is a hardware issue?
No, the host and Virtualbox are working, the problem is in the bits and bytes of the OS inside the VM.

I'd suggest at first, make a backup of what you've got. Then try to fix the OS using Ubuntu methods and help channels.
Julie wrote:maybe the VM was too heavy,
No, a large drive file doesn't make a VM more delicate.
Julie wrote:I didn't backed up my machine (too heavy).
Important data is never too heavy. Betcha you wish you did have backups, eh? Disk space is cheap, depending on where in the world you're at. Get some drives, start taking good restorable backups. :D
fth0
Volunteer
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: Linux, Windows 10, ...

Post by fth0 »

FWIW, the VirtualBox statistics indicate indeed that 53760 bytes have been read from the virtual hard disk. This gives a rough indication of how far the guest OS got during its booting stages. The execution of the code led to an "Illegal opcode" quite early, probably somewhere inside a boot manager or boot loader.

If I understand correctly, the virtual hard disk can be considered (nearly) full. In this case, any problems are to be expected. This also happens on physical PCs and isn't specific to VMs.
Julie

Post by Julie »

Hi scottgus1,

Thank you for your help, I will try to search how to fix my OS then
Julie

Post by Julie »

Hi fth0,

Thank you for your reply. I added 50Go of space disk and I allocated it to my /dev/sda5 parition, but I still cannot start my VM ...

Julie
scottgus1
Site Moderator

Post by scottgus1 »

Sometimes things go wrong, for which no solution can be found (especially across the web through text-only communication). This is where good reliable restorable backups would come in.

You might try making a new VM, add this VM's disk as a secondary disk to the new VM, and get the data off.
Julie

Post by Julie »

I did as you suggested. I created a new VM and I added the old disk as secondary disk.
This way, I managed to backup the important data of my old VM.

Thank you for your help!