Unplugging mouse crashes PC

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
Ken355
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: OSE Debian
Guest OSses: Mint; Ubuntu

Unplugging mouse crashes PC

Post by Ken355 »

Running Windows 10 host with Linux Mint 20 guest. Whenever I unplug my USB mouse, I get a blue screen of death crash, which indicates that the problem is with vboxmouse.sys. This is without VB even running.

As long as I leave the mouse alone, Windows and Linux Mint both seem to work as intended. Solution?
scottgus1
Site Moderator
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Re: Unplugging mouse crashes PC

Post by scottgus1 »

Ken355 wrote:Running Windows 10 host ... blue screen of death crash .. vboxmouse.sys.
.... Solution?
Yes, don't install the Guest Additions on the host. They go in the guest only, otherwise they'd be called Host Additions. :wink: :lol:
qianniu

Post by qianniu »

Ken355 wrote:Running Windows 10 host with Linux Mint 20 guest. Whenever I unplug my USB mouse, I get a blue screen of death crash, which indicates that the problem is with vboxmouse.sys. This is without VB even running.

As long as I leave the mouse alone, Windows and Linux Mint both seem to work as intended. Solution?
I had the same problem. When I unplug the mouse computer blue screen, how do you solve it?
scottgus1
Site Moderator
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Post by scottgus1 »

Same way Ken was supposed to solve it above. 'vboxmouse.sys' is part of Guest Additions, which does not get installed on the host OS.