RDP Improvements?

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
Rob73

RDP Improvements?

Post by Rob73 »

I'm just curious if there are any plans to improve RDP functionality (mainly display) on vm's? I'm having trouble seeing anything an old 2003 server I converted to a VM.

I've tried several suggestions in other posts but nothing seems to help. Any suggestions welcome.

Thanks.
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Re: RDP Improvements?

Post by scottgus1 »

RDP into the VM's OS or into the VRDP server on the host Virtualbox?

Please explain how you are RDPing.
Rob73

Post by Rob73 »

My apologies... actually via VRDP on the host.
Last edited by Rob73 on 27. Jan 2022, 12:06, edited 1 time in total.
scottgus1
Site Moderator

Post by scottgus1 »

VRDP to the host is to the Virtualbox monitor, keyboard and mouse, not into the OS inside the VM. VRDP can RDP into the monitor on VM OS's that have no idea what RDP is, like DOS, or into a VM that has no OS installed.

Please right-click the VM in the main Virtualbox window's VM list, choose "Show in Explorer/Finder/File Manager". In the window that opens, zip the VM's .vbox file (not the .vbox-prev file), and post the zip file, using the forum's Upload Attachment tab. (Please make sure all file extensions are shown, so you will be able to see the .vbox extension easier.)

Also please explain exactly how you are trying to RDP: what RDP client, what IP address, what port number.
Rob73

Post by Rob73 »

RDPing from Windows 10 to guest vm that's on 2003. Using 3389. Server name is getting resolved.

I'll review what you posted and let you know.

Thanks.
Rob73

Post by Rob73 »

scottgus1 wrote:VRDP to the host is to the Virtualbox monitor, keyboard and mouse, not into the OS inside the VM. VRDP can RDP into the monitor on VM OS's that have no idea what RDP is, like DOS, or into a VM that has no OS installed.

Please right-click the VM in the main Virtualbox window's VM list, choose "Show in Explorer/Finder/File Manager". In the window that opens, zip the VM's .vbox file (not the .vbox-prev file), and post the zip file, using the forum's Upload Attachment tab. (Please make sure all file extensions are shown, so you will be able to see the .vbox extension easier.)

Also please explain exactly how you are trying to RDP: what RDP client, what IP address, what port number.
See attached.

Thanks.
Attachments
RSERV.zip
(2.01 KiB) Downloaded 2 times
fth0
Volunteer
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: Linux, Windows 10, ...

Post by fth0 »

In the VM configuration, set Display > Screen > Video Memory to the maximum. If that doesn't help, set Display > Screen > Scale Factor to 100%. If that helps, try to either use the guest OS method to scale the display, or use only 200% or 300%.
Rob73

Post by Rob73 »

fth0 wrote:In the VM configuration, set Display > Screen > Video Memory to the maximum. If that doesn't help, set Display > Screen > Scale Factor to 100%. If that helps, try to either use the guest OS method to scale the display, or use only 200% or 300%.
Thanks I'll check that out..but your last sentence...this is Server 2003 so that won't be possible.
Rob73

Post by Rob73 »

I tried your suggestions but it's an awful display via RDP. I maybe limited on what capabilities of the version that I'm stuck with on the 2003 version of RDP. I'm stuck with 8 bit and will not let me change it on the guest. Applications that are supposed to hide will not hide due to the limitations of the remote screen resolution. I tried enabling vrdp with port 5001 but it will not connect. I am using a bridged connection so that the router assigns the IP.
scottgus1
Site Moderator

Post by scottgus1 »

Rob73 wrote:I tried enabling vrdp with port 5001 but it will not connect.
The .vbox file says you are using 'external' Virtualbox VRDP authentication. Let's simplify that for now and use Null authentication. Also, be sure you rdp to the correct address. VRDP is to the VM's 'monitor' on the host, not into the VM OS, so you'd use the host's IP address and the chosen port:

From the host OS RDP client:

localhost:5001
127.0.0.1:5001

From other PCs on the host's LAN:

host.LAN.ip.address:5001 (port 5001 should be open in the host OS's firewall)
Rob73 wrote:it's an awful display via RDP. I maybe limited on what capabilities of the version that I'm stuck with on the 2003 version of RDP. I'm stuck with 8 bit
While this is MS RDP now and not Virtualbox RDP and therefore not supported on this forum, I will mention that I have MS RDP'd into Server 2003 and the graphics are just like sitting at the server's monitor. You probably have the RDP client's 'experience' setting turned down to 'slow modem', or some other setting reducing the screen color. Check the RDP client settings.
Rob73

Post by Rob73 »

scottgus1 wrote:
The .vbox file says you are using 'external' Virtualbox VRDP authentication. Let's simplify that for now and use Null authentication. Also, be sure you rdp to the correct address. VRDP is to the VM's 'monitor' on the host, not into the VM OS, so you'd use the host's IP address and the chosen port:

From the host OS RDP client:

localhost:5001
127.0.0.1:5001

From other PCs on the host's LAN:

host.LAN.ip.address:5001 (port 5001 should be open in the host OS's firewall)
Rob73 wrote:it's an awful display via RDP. I maybe limited on what capabilities of the version that I'm stuck with on the 2003 version of RDP. I'm stuck with 8 bit
While this is MS RDP now and not Virtualbox RDP and therefore not supported on this forum, I will mention that I have MS RDP'd into Server 2003 and the graphics are just like sitting at the server's monitor. You probably have the RDP client's 'experience' setting turned down to 'slow modem', or some other setting reducing the screen color. Check the RDP client settings.

Actually if I avoid full screen, the resolution is normal. I will take a look per suggestions and let you know. Thanks.
Rob73

Post by Rob73 »

I have it manageable now but one thing I'm trying with the RDP file is to use a scale factor of 175%. I've looked at the
setting on Microsoft website on what to use but it's not taking it?

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/window ... /rdp-files

Any suggestions?
scottgus1
Site Moderator

Post by scottgus1 »

If you are not RDPing into Virtualbox VRDP, then that question would be suitable for a Microsoft forum.
scottgus1
Site Moderator

Post by scottgus1 »

The following was posted as a PM to me:
rob snot.png
rob snot.png (30.45 KiB) Viewed 4314 times
Rob73 wrote:Because you have no clue or you just like to be difficult?
I'm going to overlook your snotty attitude in the PM this one time and try to explain it to you once more.
Rob73 wrote:I am using a bridged connection so that the router assigns the IP.
Rob73 wrote:RDPing from Windows 10 to guest vm that's on 2003. Using 3389. Server name is getting resolved.
All this tells me that you are remoting in to the 2003 OS itself, not the VRDP available from localhost/127.0.0.1:5001.

Which means you are using the Microsoft service, not the Virtualbox service. Virtualbox is not being used, except to run the OS. Virtualbox RDP is not being used, MS's RDP is being used. Thus this is a question for an MS forum.

This would be the same as if your 2003 OS were on a Dell or Lenovo PC. You would not ask Dell or Lenovo why you can't remote in to 2003, they wouldn't be able to tell you since they're only providing hardware. And if you said to them what you said to me in your PM they'd tell you to pound sand.

I will allow you one post to explain why you feel you are using VRDP, with exact commands and ip address & ports being used. You will also post another zipped .vbox file using Upload Attachment, as you did before.

And I will expect you to maintain a civil tone. You have crossed the "no personal attacks" line with your PM above and the ban button is at hand.
Rob73

Post by Rob73 »

I know I'm not using VRDP but in one of your earlier post you mentioned the guest OS rdp and all I'm asking is if anyone (by playing around with it) has ever had any success with an rdp file opening in a zoom mode without having to manually do it? I've done some searching but they all point to doing it manually and they never really tell u what to use in the rdp file to force a zoom. Have you had success or tried a setting in RDP file that will force a zoom value?

Snot? ...hmmm very mature. :roll: