Bidirectional Clipboard on Win 11 Pro Host

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
Plumothy

Bidirectional Clipboard on Win 11 Pro Host

Post by Plumothy »

Host PC:
- Win 11 Pro 64bit
- VM VirtualBox v6.1.32 r 149290 (Qt5.6.2), installed for the first time just a few days ago
- Extension Pack v6.1.32r149290

Guest VM:
- Win 10 Pro 64bit (activated)
- Oracle VM VirtualBox Guest Additions 6.1.32 installed

Extract from Guest VM Log:
00:00:01.755891 Shared Clipboard: Service loaded
00:00:01.755899 Shared Clipboard: Mode: Bidirectional
00:00:01.756030 Shared Clipboard: Service running in normal mode
00:00:01.761849 Drag and drop service loaded
00:00:01.761857 Drag and drop mode: Bidirectional

The performance of the Bidirectional Clipboard and Drag'n'Drop (when working on files in Windows Explorer) are both very unreliable and very erratic. Sometimes they work, sometimes they don't. There doesn't seem to be any consistency so I cannot say that a certain action always fails or another action always succeeds - it is just random!

Are there any known issues with Win 11 hosts that might be causing this?
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Re: Bidirectional Clipboard on Win 11 Pro Host

Post by mpack »

The clipboard and drag&drop are entirely unrelated features so please do not conflate them.

Drag&drop has always been flakey so I'm not even going to address that one. Save yourself some frustration and always use shared folders to get files in and out of VMs.

What exactly is your problem with cut and paste? Note that only certain things can be placed on the clipboard, specifically plain text and images. Not files. Not word processor clips.
Plumothy

Post by Plumothy »

As my post said, I am referring to copying and pasting files in Windows Explorer (something that I often do with Drag&Drop which is why I mentioned it).
The problem is it often does not work. By that I mean the file that was pasted does not appear in the destination folder.
However, sometimes it does work.
Whether or not it works just seems to be completely random.
Of course, I use Shared Folders - because the clipboard is so bad - but that is not as convenient.
I have had both the Clipboard and Drag&Drop working OK on previous systems which why I asked if there were any known issues on Win 11 hosts.
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Post by scottgus1 »

Plumothy wrote:I am referring to copying and pasting files in Windows Explorer (something that I often do with Drag&Drop
"copying and pasting" are terms used for the clipboard. As Mpack said, copying files with the clipboard is not supported:
mpack wrote:only certain things can be placed on the clipboard, specifically plain text and images. Not files.
So your terminology is still too mixed up to allow us to understand you and help you.

Copy, Paste, are for clipboard, which cannot do files.

Drag-n-drop is for files.

Drag-n-drop is sometimey for me too, thus I don't always use it either. Maybe there are permissions problems with the folders involved in the drag-n-drop. Some service gets stuck and the VM seizes. I too stick with shared folders, since the procedure is the same as for real PCs on a network.

Start the VM from full normal shutdown, not save-state. Run until you see the problem happen, then shut down the VM from within the VM's OS if possible. If not possible, close the Virtualbox window for the VM with the Power Off option set.

Right-click the VM in the main Virtualbox window's VM list, choose Show Log. Save the far left tab's log, zip it, and post the zip file, using the forum's Upload Attachment tab.
Plumothy

Post by Plumothy »

mpack wrote:only certain things can be placed on the clipboard, specifically plain text and images. Not files.
In that case, there is the answer: copying files is not supported!

It's just strange that it does sometimes work.
mpack
Site Moderator

Post by mpack »

Plumothy wrote: In that case, there is the answer: copying files is not supported!
[on the clipboard] Not only is it the answer, it is the answer I gave you.
Plumothy wrote: It's just strange that it does sometimes work.
Nope. It has never worked. No such feature ever existed.
Plumothy

Post by Plumothy »

mpack wrote:Nope. It has never worked. No such feature ever existed.
Even stranger still. Like I said, it sometimes works for me.
mpack
Site Moderator

Post by mpack »

No, it doesn't. It is impossible that a feature that does not exist sometimes works for you.