Ubuntu 21.10 no longer starts in VM (virtualbox)

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
MatB

Ubuntu 21.10 no longer starts in VM (virtualbox)

Post by MatB »

I can confirm the same behavior, both on my existing Ubuntu MATE 21.10 VM. I also set up a new VM, made a fresh install of Ubuntu MATE 21.10 AMD64, and likewise get a blank screen on boot. As this is new behavior (the previous version of Virtualbox worked fine), it points to a bug in 6.1.32.
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Re: Ubuntu 21.10 no longer starts in VM (virtualbox)

Post by scottgus1 »

Please post a log:
Start the VM from full normal shutdown, not save-state. Run until you see the problem happen, then shut down the VM from within the VM's OS if possible. If not possible, close the Virtualbox window for the VM with the Power Off option set.

Right-click the VM in the main Virtualbox window's VM list, choose Show Log. Save the far left tab's log, zip it, and post the zip file, using the forum's Upload Attachment tab.
AndyCot

Re: Ubuntu 21.10 no longer starts in VM (virtualbox)

Post by AndyCot »

@MatB can you please supply the log with VB 6.1.32 and :
1) Check if you have Hyper-V enabled and try disabling it and see if this helps
2) If it does please post a following letting us know that disabling fixed your VM startup-up issue, but a log is needed.
3) Is disabling Hyper-V is already disabled or not an option as you need Hyper-V for other apps to work can you try VB 6.1.30, but before downgrading grab a new log and if after downgrading find it is okay can you also grab another log and post BOTH logs in a new post.

This will allow more technical people to see if the issue is with your setup or with Vb or with Hyper-V on 6.1.30 or 6.1.32 or may be something else, BUT THE VITAL INFO IS THE LOGS.