Mouse is COMPLETELY broken in latest version of VBox

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
Ben321

Mouse is COMPLETELY broken in latest version of VBox

Post by Ben321 »

I just upgraded my copy of VBox from 5.x to the latest 6.x version.

The mouse works fine with mouse integration enabled, but without it enabled (using normal mouse capture), the entire mouse (both guest and host cursors) gets really messed up. The host cursor gets locked in a rectangle (approximately the same size as the guest OS window) in the upper left corner of the screen until capture is released, and the mouse cursor in the guest disappears completely the moment you move your mouse. This happens regardless of if you are using normal mouse capture because your guest OS doesn't support guest additions, or whether you are using guest additions but have manually disabled mouse integration (which then forces the use of normal mouse capture).

Also there's no longer a way without using guest additions to use mouse integration. It used to be possible to use mouse integration without guest additions, by selecting a USB tablet as your pointing device (instead of the default PS/2 mouse) in the settings for your VM. However, now changing your pointing device type to USB tablet no longer allows you to use mouse integration without guest additions.

I seriously hope that Oracle fixes both of these bugs (but with the first one being an absolute priority, due to it breaking ALL graphical OS's that don't support guest additions) as soon as possible. The second bug keeps me from using the USB tablet mode as a workaround for the first bug, but the first bug is the one of absolute highest priority.
Ben321

Bug report regarding mouse capture in latest 6.x version of VBox on Windows

Post by Ben321 »

I just upgraded my copy of VBox from 5.x to the latest 6.x version.

The mouse works fine with mouse integration enabled, but without it enabled (using normal mouse capture), the entire mouse (both guest and host cursors) gets really messed up. The host cursor gets locked in a rectangle (approximately the same size as the guest OS window) in the upper left corner of the screen until capture is released, and the mouse cursor in the guest disappears completely the moment you move your mouse. This happens regardless of if you are using normal mouse capture because your guest OS doesn't support guest additions, or whether you are using guest additions but have manually disabled mouse integration (which then forces the use of normal mouse capture).

Also there's no longer a way without using guest additions to use mouse integration. It used to be possible to use mouse integration without guest additions, by selecting a USB tablet as your pointing device (instead of the default PS/2 mouse) in the settings for your VM. However, now changing your pointing device type to USB tablet no longer allows you to use mouse integration without guest additions.

I seriously hope that Oracle fixes both of these bugs (but with the first one being an absolute priority, due to it breaking ALL graphical OS's that don't support guest additions) as soon as possible. The second bug keeps me from using the USB tablet mode as a workaround for the first bug, but the first bug is the one of absolute highest priority.

I'm not sure if it has similar issues on other host OS's, but I know it does for sure in Windows, because Windows is the OS on my PC.

I already posted this bug report in the "VirtualBox on Windows Hosts" section but then I realized that the correct section for bug reports is this Suggestions section, so I reposted it here.
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Re: Mouse is COMPLETELY broken in latest version of VBox

Post by scottgus1 »

I merged your Suggestions topic to your Windows Hosts topic. 'Suggestions' is for ... suggestions. :lol:

Bug reports are usually fleshed out here in the correct Hosts or Guests section of the forum, then posted on the Bugtracker. And of course you're free to jump straight to the Bugtracker if you wish.

But discussing the problem on the forum is better, because some folks' bugs are really misconfigurations (no judgment implied against this topic).

Since the forum is for end users of free Virtualbox (who are not entitled to any official support on account of not having paid for a support contract), sometimes we have to wait for a bit for the all-unpaid-volunteer answerers who happen to know how to troubleshoot the issue to come along.
Ben321

Post by Ben321 »

scottgus1 wrote:I merged your Suggestions topic to your Windows Hosts topic. 'Suggestions' is for ... suggestions. :lol:

Bug reports are usually fleshed out here in the correct Hosts or Guests section of the forum, then posted on the Bugtracker. And of course you're free to jump straight to the Bugtracker if you wish.

But discussing the problem on the forum is better, because some folks' bugs are really misconfigurations (no judgment implied against this topic).

Since the forum is for end users of free Virtualbox (who are not entitled to any official support on account of not having paid for a support contract), sometimes we have to wait for a bit for the all-unpaid-volunteer answerers who happen to know how to troubleshoot the issue to come along.
Good point. However, in this case, I'm not looking for premiums support. I'm just reporting a bug. I shouldn't need to be a paid user to report a bug. The premium support is for like if a person needs to know how to use certain functionality and they want an immediate official answer to learn how to use that feature. Bugs affect everybody, and asking for a bug to be fixed isn't the same as asking for tech assistance on accomplishing a particular task using Virtual Box. When I post a bug report here here, I do so hoping that the developers actually read the forum, and learn about the bug from my post, so they can fix the bug.
mpack
Site Moderator
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

You should assume that the devs do not read these forums, except perhaps for the "Discuss the xxx release" topics they themselves create.

Yes you should discuss potential bugs in the forum, but ultimately the only way the devs take notice is if a BugTracker ticket is raised by someone with sufficient mana.
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Post by scottgus1 »

Start the VM from full normal shutdown, not save-state. Run until you see the problem happen, then shut down the VM from within the VM's OS if possible. If not possible, close the Virtualbox window for the VM with the Power Off option set.

Right-click the VM in the main Virtualbox window's VM list, choose Show Log. Save the far left tab's log, zip it, and post the zip file, using the forum's Upload Attachment tab.