[Solved] How do I get VirtualBox to install the extension pack?

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
Ben321

[Solved] How do I get VirtualBox to install the extension pack?

Post by Ben321 »

I just upgraded VBox, and when I ran the upgraded VBox it said I had an outdated extension pack. It then gave me a dialog box where I could download and install the new extension pack. However, after downloading it, when it actually attempted to install the upgraded extension pack, it gave me this error.
Failed to install the Extension Pack C:/Users/Ben Hutchinson/AppData/Local/Temp/Oracle_VM_VirtualBox_Extension_Pack-6.1.32.vbox-extpack.

The installer failed with exit code 1: VBoxExtPackHelperApp.exe: error: Failed to rename the extension pack directory: VERR_ACCESS_DENIED

VBoxExtPackHelperApp.exe: error: If the problem persists, try running the command: VBoxManage extpack cleanup

rcExit=1.

Result Code: E_FAIL (0x80004005)
Component: ExtPackManagerWrap
Interface: IExtPackManager {70401eef-c8e9-466b-9660-45cb3e9979e4}
I noticed that it said that VERR_ACCESS_DENIED was the error code, which caused me to think that it needed admin permissions, so I re-ran VirtualBox using "Run as Administrator" but it gave me the same error when attempting to install the upgrade for the extension pack. How do I fix this?
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Re: How do I get VirtualBox to install the extension pack?

Post by mpack »

Sometimes AV software or aggressively paranoid host OS security settings can cause such problems.

Just go delete the folder C:\Program Files\Oracle\VirtualBox\ExtensionPacks. That will force you to eliminate any permission problems needed to accomplish that task. The extension pack will then happily install.
Ben321

Re: How do I get VirtualBox to install the extension pack?

Post by Ben321 »

mpack wrote:Sometimes AV software or aggressively paranoid host OS security settings can cause such problems.

Just go delete the folder C:\Program Files\Oracle\VirtualBox\ExtensionPacks. That will force you to eliminate any permission problems needed to accomplish that task. The extension pack will then happily install.
That worked